[Mk2] [Generic] yay, border bumper fitted tomorrow, more updates :)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Generic] yay, border bumper fitted tomorrow, more updates :)

Post by Ryan S »

so, with the run up to xmas and me spending all my cash on presents (and being fined £250 at court today(don't ask)) i am officially broke, however, my bodykit goes on the car tomorrow so not all bad news, not really something i'm into but the sills needed the rust sorted anyway and i had skirts laying around from my last mr2 so i decided to go with a border front end as skirts would look stupid on their own.

i'll have a go at anything but i draw the line at bodywork, so a painter friend is doing all this for me as a homer, the bumper was completely wrecked after spending many months at my business suposedly in storage, it's been moved about so many times, dropped, damaged and generally not cared about, the same goes for the sideskirts, so to see the kit now in this condition is quite pleasing, also, he used my petrol cap to match the colour (annoyingly i've had to sdrive around without it for about a week) so i'm hoping the colour match is spot on, i'll update it tomorrow when the kit is on, i'm hoping to retain the front fogs so we'll see how that goes :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ryan S on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] yay, border bumper fitted tomorrow, more updates :)

Post by Ryan S »

bu88er, no idea why the image URLs aren't working :(

can't get image URLs to work, will upload pics tomorrow ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Super_red

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] yay, border bumper and "ferarri reps" fitted tomorrow!!!

Post by Super_red »

If you copy and paste the links they work. Looks ready to go. Did you test fit the bumper before painting? I have had 3 now and they have all been so far out it was stupid.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] yay, border bumper and "ferarri reps" fitted tomorrow!!!

Post by Ryan S »

Super_red wrote:If you copy and paste the links they work. Looks ready to go. Did you test fit the bumper before painting? I have had 3 now and they have all been so far out it was stupid.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

thanks for that mate, no i haven't (despite telling the painter that we should, the bumper came off another mr2 though, so should hopefully go right on :thumleft: same deal with the skirts, daft i know, but not my idea :lol: :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

a wee shot of the petrol flap next to one of the skirts, he said he's had some reaction on the bu,per so is going over bits.

looks a tiny bit orange peel but i do paint restoration for a living, so as long as the paint is on and the colour is a good match, i will buff the absolute balls outta this till it's smooth :D

oh, he's also having to use water based paint :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

paint on now, i still think it's a bit orange peely :(

still, it can be buffed i suppose :roll: :roll:
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Yeah thats the kind of finish you will get in a home garage in this weather. You can colour sand it smooth as long as its thick enough, start with 1500 until its smooth but will be matt then buff with corse to fine cutting compunds.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Super_red wrote:Yeah thats the kind of finish you will get in a home garage in this weather. You can colour sand it smooth as long as its thick enough, start with 1500 until its smooth but will be matt then buff with corse to fine cutting compunds.

that was my plan, but he's went and put clearcoat on top of it :shock:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

toying with the idea of a midship runabout badge on the bumper,

any thoughts??
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

sheppy wrote:toying with the idea of a midship runabout badge on the bumper,

any thoughts??

I think they look much cleaner without. On a stock bumper though they're a must :)

I'd give some serious consideration to fabbing an undertray for it, as it does settle the front end down significantly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Magic Beans wrote:

any thoughts??

I think they look much cleaner without. On a stock bumper though they're a must :)

I'd give some serious consideration to fabbing an undertray for it, as it does settle the front end down significantly.

hmmmm, this is what i was thinking too, i think the badge may just appear is if it just plonked on :(

yeah i am bud, once i have it all fitted etc...i actually made a template on cardboard and i have massive sheets of metal (for my signs) at work which i don't need anymore. just wanting to get the fitting and fettling out the way first :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

skirts are a good fit length wise, but the rear is sitting off the arch about 1/4 of an inch :( they have been in storage for about 4 years :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

not enough time to fit the bumper today, got the skirts on though, they look good in the photo but the fresh paint has just highlghted how badly the car needs a paint job :lol: :lol:

i was gonna attack the car with my buffer but ultimately, it's gonna need painted :pale:

i'm sure most folk would be happy with the results mind you :-k
synXero

Post by synXero »

You can definitely tell the paintwork apart in the photograph, but it still looks good to me Shep. Amazed they didn't do a trial fit first. I hope the bumper fits, I know they can be troublesome.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:You can definitely tell the paintwork apart in the photograph, but it still looks good to me Shep. Amazed they didn't do a trial fit first. I hope the bumper fits, I know they can be troublesome.

yeah, upon closer inspection, the skirts are a good match for the front half of the car, but as you go further back, the paint on the car must get duller :( it's going in a for a full respray as soon as the guy has a slot available :( i'm gonna get him to whip the skirts off and sort them too, if they are too far gone (which i doubt as they need minimal adjustment) i;ll just buy new ones, :?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:

any thoughts??

Does anyone have a pic of a midship runabout badge on a MK2? Do they cover the holes in the bumper ok?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

One of the pins fits perfectly into the stock hole (the bottom one), the other needs relocating.

There's photos of it all in one of the first pages of my build thread and on an 8B6 coloured car too :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”