Pants performance.....

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ja99a

Pants performance.....

Post by Ja99a »

For a while I had noticed that my tubby was running a bit pants which was getting worse.
This was especially noticable when on full boost.
I attended the Coventy meet & was told that my CAT might have come loose & dropped onto the sensor by a fella that was obvioulsy an old hand in the MR2 world (Sorry mate can't remember your name) making the engine mgmt light come on.

I decided to fit the HKS hipower & Aussie dp that I had bought some time earlier now I had a half decent garage to work in (the garage is a different story).

I started to fit the exhaust & 10 hours later it was on & ready to go.

Starting up the note was sweet! left it to warm up & checked for oil leaks etc.

Then the time to take it for a spin, drove to the end of my entry & into a heavily double parked road, decided to see if things were any better & put my foot down.

AAAAARRRRRrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh I was sent sideways thrashing back & forth, fish tailing I was so close to stuffing it into one of the parked cars, I must have only been a fag paper away on a couple of wobbles.
I think it was safe to say that the totally knacked cat being removed had made a difference. Very very close.....
A lession learned, only test drive on clear open roads..... :)

I now have renewed faith in the MR2 'O' Love.....
gmtc

Re: Pants performance.....

Post by gmtc »

Tosspot, that could have been my car parked on that road or kids crossing the road :evil:

(Glad to see you got it sorted though)
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

fair play he didnt know there was gonna be such a big difference! glad you got it sorted. Ive been meaning to get mines cleared/decatted but cant be bothered :x
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Go easy mate it's a mistake that is easy to make, specially if his previous performance was down. Have done it myself, though on an open road, slightly too heavy on the right foot and car fishtailed (commonly known as a brown trouser moment..) Little while ago now, I've got more respect nowadays!

T
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Ja99a wrote:I now have renewed faith in the MR2 'O' Love.....

LOL Yeah, it only takes one occasion to appreciate the possible outcome of something like this (or two occasions if you've got a bad memory like me!). :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by EarL »

Only recently done the boost controller on mine.

...bit of a brown trouser moment there when it hit 1.1 bar... :oops:

Return to “Driving Experiences”