Removable silencers - angry neighbours

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Removable silencers - angry neighbours

Post by JD »

Leaving my girlfriend's at half past ten on a Sunday evening, I sat and let the car idle for a couple of minutes as it was hunting a bit but it settled down quickly but I also needed to clear the screen/windows in the cold weather. before I drove of however, a rather angry man let me know from his ground floor window how much he hates my mongoose. My girlfriend has only been in her new place about 6 weeks so it's a bit early to upset the neighbours. There had also been someone driving up and down the close at 4am Sunday morning and I've got a feeling that I've been assigned the blame for that as well despite the fact I was in bed. first time I've been over there in the tubby. I'm hoping my charm will win them over but failing that, I know you can get various inserts and slip-on silencers that will take the edge off but are they really worth it? Will they make enough difference to keep the curtain twitchers and angry UKIP supporters from making angsty 101 calls and writing shouty letters to the DM? I remember the guy on PH that bought some for his Trevor after people complained about him taking it in and out of his garage and it apparently made a difference. Not that a mongoose is especially loud but the rumble at low rpm does have the ability to make the china rattle and interrupt one's train of thought when doing the Mail on Sunday crossword.
Alex O

Re: Removable silencers - angry neighbours

Post by Alex O »

I'm not sure about mongoose specifically although I seem to remember that a mongoose looks standard so not sure how a hung would fit in it...

However, I have a bung for my nurspec and it changes it from really loud to slightly less than really loud. I use it for the MOT and it can make the difference between being allowed on certain tracks or not but it doesn't make it quiet.

Not sure it would make much of a difference in your situation....especially given the mongoose isn't that loud to start with...
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

I have to say, I have a Nur Spec as well and my neighbours dont even moan. Ive noticed too that despite being loud (very loud) when I go inside the house if I leave it for a moment or two, it just sounds like a low volume far away rumble.

My street is full of whingers and they never bat an eyelid at my car. I think that may be down to the fact Im very considerate of tehm and dont take the p1$$, plus theyve seen how much work I put into the car.

A bung for a mongoose might work but it wont take too many decibels off.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

From having a Mongoose in a narrow street, it's the resonance that is the problem. I found it quitre loud (95dB from scrutineering, but that's at 75% throttle).

I'd be surprised if you can get a bung as it's got rolled cans which you'd need to drill to hold a bung in place.

I'm impressed you neighbour knew it was a mongoose :lol:
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

I run a nur spec on my n/a it's a lot louder than stock and I leave for work at 6:30 everyday but then I don't particularly like my neighbours. From the various bungs I've seen used they don't really do much
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I've got removable silencers in my custom exhaust tips. It really does bring the resonance down a lot and I would suggest getting a pair especially if it's a daily driver.

Have a gander at my build thread to see pictures of them and the fitment.
I can't remember the name of the company who did all the work but it's all written up on there :thumleft:

My thinking was that if my neighbours whine I will explain that I've already got silencers etc fitted to try to keep noise levels down for them. If they continue to whine I would just take them out when I pull into the drive at 3am! :lol:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
shinny

Post by shinny »

JD wrote:half past ten... Sunday evening... let the car idle for a couple of minutes

That's your issue! It's not the car, it's how you're using it :wink:

You've got a loud car, so get moving as soon as possible once you've started the engine at night. Sitting a loud car at idle outside someone's house can build up massive resonance at one frequency, which is arguably worse than revving it as the single note gets annoying quickly and vibrates all kinds of things! (I once got told, in the middle of the day, that my car was shaking an entire staircase three doors down!)

If you need to demist the windscreen then carry a microfiber or leather in the car so you have wipe it down before turning the engine over.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/manual-exhaust-valve.html

seen this the other day, no idea how well it works though :-k

Nic

Post by Nic »

Exhaust bungs do lower the noise level but they are quite restrictive, which has a noticeable effect on performance.

I'd either swap the exhaust for a quieter one or - if there is space - get an additional silencer welded in. This is what I've done with my Blitz NUR R

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=jetex
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Harold

Post by Harold »

shinny wrote:
JD wrote:half past ten... Sunday evening... let the car idle for a couple of minutes

That's your issue! It's not the car, it's how you're using it :wink:

You've got a loud car, so get moving as soon as possible once you've started the engine at night. Sitting a loud car at idle outside someone's house can build up massive resonance at one frequency, which is arguably worse than revving it as the single note gets annoying quickly and vibrates all kinds of things! (I once got told, in the middle of the day, that my car was shaking an entire staircase three doors down!)

If you need to demist the windscreen then carry a microfiber or leather in the car so you have wipe it down before turning the engine over.

As he says, if it's loud and annoying then only start the engine when you're going to drive it. If i leave mine idling (berk exhaust) then the resonance causes glasses in the cupboard to rattle amongst other things.
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah, seriously, don't sit there being antagonising with it idling on the drive, especially cold!

Get in, fire up and drive off. Warm car up keeping below 3K rpm for 10 minutes or so.

My turbo with a decat, nur spec and no bung idling for a few minutes would seriously have my neighbours hating me! :lol:
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Nic wrote:Exhaust bungs do lower the noise level but they are quite restrictive, which has a noticeable effect on performance.

I'd either swap the exhaust for a quieter one or - if there is space - get an additional silencer welded in. This is what I've done with my Blitz NUR R

Nic, did you ever get the recording of it? I'm curious as to how much quieter it is.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I've had no complaints about the car with the nur spec,or the Phoenix power s80 I had but the twin scorpion one on my previous mr2 seemed to really annoy the neighbours!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I once got told, in the middle of the day, that my car was shaking an entire staircase three doors down
:lol:
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks chaps, I think shinny has hit the nail on the head about resonance. The problem with mine is not necessarily the volume but the specific frequencies. It's a decat too so I expect that makes it louder.

I'll move off immediately next time.

Karl - they look good. I've noticed there are generic ones I can pick up quite cheaply.

edit - never mind!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

daft as it sounds, does your girlfriend, have a drive do your exhausts point out towards "angry neighbour"

just i have noticed if we have the 2s pointing one way its quieter inside the house

but, as said fire up drive off, our street is on a slant so i free wheel further down then turn her over if i am driving the 2

the company chariot sounds like there's 10 angry blacksmiths hammering away on a anvil
:shock:

Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Drive the car, chuck the girl.

:D
R.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Nic wrote:Exhaust bungs do lower the noise level but they are quite restrictive, which has a noticeable effect on performance.

this is true, ive dont back to back runs with the bung in and with it out on my apexi hayabusa. I made 0.7x bar boost with the bung in and 0.9 without it...thats with a blitz DBSC so not by dial guage but digitally read.

Sans the bung which i carry in my passenger well, i have been told the car rattles postflaps on house doors...So ofc i drive without the bung.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

JD wrote:Thanks chaps, I think shinny has hit the nail on the head about resonance. The problem with mine is not necessarily the volume but the specific frequencies. It's a decat too so I expect that makes it louder.

I'll move off immediately next time.

Karl - they look good. I've noticed there are generic ones I can pick up quite cheaply.

edit - never mind!

Youve hit the nail on the head there - I had a decat and mongoose on my rev 1 and it got more complaints when it was ideling and ironically it got a few compliments when I drove it at higher revs - at idle it would set off a car alarm no problem if it was parked behind my car and trying to creep around the streets at low revs did exactly the same. I found the best thing to do was not sit there annoying people. I now have an RSR fitted and that just annoys everyone across the rev range! :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”