Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RikH77

Re: Gran Turismo 6

Post by RikH77 »

Surge not touched this since Xmas....really should have a game :eye:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

So I got to play this today round a mate's house. Proper setup, Fanatec 911TT wheel, manual shifter, three pedal setup. Very nice.

Anyway, the game. Graphics seemed very poor to me, however I'm coming from playing a lot of Forza 5 in the last few weeks so probably an unfair comparison. Day/night transitions were handled fairly well, and the weather was good (although massive rain downpour didn't really look like one, it certainly handled like one though!). The less said about the sound the better: The SLS GT3 sounded more like a buzzy Clio lump than a V8 bruiser. Possibly the most disappointing sound I've yet heard on a video game full stop.

SP was utter garbage. I wouldn't even bother buying it if that's all you play. Forza walks all over it on that. MP, it's the other way round. Far more options, much easier to create a custom lobby, just a much more rounded experience. For MP stuff, GT6 is the default choice here.

In terms of the actual handling, much like previous GT games it's decidedly dodgy with a pad but with a wheel it's incredible. Very nearly on a par with Forza 5, but the tyre physics stop it being a proper match. I'm being picky though, as if you didn't know better you'd say it was as good as you'd ever need, and you'd be right. Obviously a good wheel setup works here, and the Fanatec is superb in every aspect: I could not find fault with it at all. Well, maybe the dodgy clutch action (you MUST have it fully down before trying to engage a gear, and you need to feed the power in or nothing happens) and the clicky shifter, but the wheel and paddles were immense.

Track selection was excellent, clearly superior to Forza 5, although I stand by earlier comments of not needing 1000+ cars in the game when half of them are crappy MX5 and GTR multiples. Just bin them off and focus on the Premium cars, which are nicely modelled inside and out. Good choice of 'proper' race cars too, although the lack of Pork is still utterly disappointing. The same fault is laid at the door of the Xbone game too, though.

So, all in? I've yet to play Forza 5 with a wheel (my Thrustmaster setup arrives Monday), however I'll assume that it's at least the equal of GT6 on that side of things going on reviews elsewhere on the interweb. That being the case, I still personally prefer F5 but only because I don't play MP very often. The prettier surroundings, the vastly superior sound and the variations in the SP modes are significantly better than GT6 by some margin. If you prefer racing against your mates though, you have to get GT6 instead. It's just a breeze setting up online races, and even if the game is buggy as hell (on numerous occasions I found the screen going completely black when you started a practice/qualy/race session, and sometimes it didn't return until you quit the lobby completely) it's still so much smoother than F5.

Good game though, in spite of the SP failings. It does need to improve on certain things and move itself along in terms of what it offers players in either updates or GT7 though, as it's in danger of being a FIFA-type update with more cars if you ask me.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Whats so bad about single player on GT? I've been enjoying it a lot!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Having to start from the back every. Single. Time.

The AI is atrocious too, it hasn't moved on in the slightest. It'll take the racing line and nowt else.
ashley

Post by ashley »

lol

I'm really enjoying it- I think it's a great game!

But then I haven't played Forza to compare
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

I love it! I'll never get to own Forza, as I flat refuse to buy an Xbox, so the chances are I'll never play it.

If you think Forza is so much better then, fair play, you'd better get back to playing it :whistle: :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Martin - when you coming round to play this for me, ive lost effort since xmas #-o
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Urgh, went to play and wants to update....but gets so far and fails like first update
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Had the same problem, so just gave up and played it as was. I don't go online anyway.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Lauren wrote:Had the same problem, so just gave up and played it as was. I don't go online anyway.

you still having it Lauren :?:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Not tried it since last weekend, so no idea.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

There's a problem with the update. All you need to do is hit the OK on the update within 2 seconds of it appearing and it will work fine :thumleft:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Big_Martin wrote:There's a problem with the update. All you need to do is hit the OK on the update within 2 seconds of it appearing and it will work fine :thumleft:

tried that martin, still not having it - gets to about 65% and throws me out of psn
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

worked now - typical \:D/
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

Ah, right. That maybe a different thing as the problem I had never allowed the update to start. Glad you've sorted it though :thumleft:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

I beat your m4 seasonal event time while I was at it :thumleft:
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

Not ar$ed. As long as I get gold, and therefore the cash and car, I'm good :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

I just did that and the Toyota one then turned it off, no doubt for another month.

Haha
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

Love the FT-1! Shame you can't mod it :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

another bloody update........that doesnt work :evil:

Return to “Games Consoles”