[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 5 spoiler on rev 2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben-Dave

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 5 spoiler on rev 2

Post by Ben-Dave »

Hi I was wanting a rev 5 spoiler for my rev 2 turbo, so I've been to the bodyshop and been quoted £300 to paint the rev 5 spoiler and fill in the holes left over from my rev 2 spoiler.

Is this an expensive quote? I've never been to a bodyshop before so I don't know If this is a decent price or not.

Also has anyone done this spoiler conversion before? If so how much did it cost you? Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 5 spoiler on rev 2

Post by Peter Gidden »

I presume filling in boot lid holes will involve repainting boot lid?

If they're going to paint all the parts separately and reassemble sounds a good price for a good job.
Ben-Dave

Post by Ben-Dave »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:I presume filling in boot lid holes will involve repainting boot lid?

If they're going to paint all the parts separately and reassemble sounds a good price for a good job.

well i just needed to make sure i wasn't getting stung, better safe than sorry lol thanks :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

Sounds good. How are they filling the holes? Filler or welding? Make sure they do a good job. If they just stick a load of filler on it then they will just sink and look crap.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Surely a new boot lid is order of the day? They run to about £30, this has to be less than the labour of filling in the holes with an almost guarenteed better finish. I believe a rev 3 boot lid has the correct holes for a rev 5 spoiler (based on the TRD spoiler fitting both I have heard).

Price does sound pretty fair for the amount of work though.
Ben-Dave

Post by Ben-Dave »

Rory wrote:Sounds good. How are they filling the holes? Filler or welding? Make sure they do a good job. If they just stick a load of filler on it then they will just sink and look crap.

id like to imagine they'd be welded and grinded down then painted for that price.. it'd be pointless having loads of filler put in, if its going to get done i want it doing right lol :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Two coupe bootlids with no holes whatsoever in the for sale section right now. Also don't forget to buy a secondhand rev3 + aerial mast (or get a stick on one for the rear window and remove the rear motorised unit and get them to weld the hole up whilst it's getting paint)... the rev1/2 stands proud of the bodywork without the spoiler.

Get some before and after pics for us. :thumleft:

R.
Ben-Dave

Post by Ben-Dave »

HighwayStar wrote:Two coupe bootlids with no holes whatsoever in the for sale section right now. Also don't forget to buy a secondhand rev3 + aerial mast (or get a stick on one for the rear window and remove the rear motorised unit and get them to weld the hole up whilst it's getting paint)... the rev1/2 stands proud of the bodywork without the spoiler.

Get some before and after pics for us. :thumleft:

R.

Well I've already got another Ariel stuck on the windscreen, and I did plan on having away with the stock Ariel, however I didn't anticipate that the conversion would be as pricey as I've been quoted so for now it's being put on hold till next year :( ](*,)
MR22

Post by MR22 »

If yours is a Rev2, there are also 2 or 3 holes each side under the spoiler side pods + the aerial hole on the O/s.
Have they also quoted you for welding those up and then spraying both rear quarter panels completely ?
If your £300 quote includes that as well, providing they do a good job, I think the price is very reasonable. :D
Ben-Dave

Post by Ben-Dave »

MR22 wrote:If yours is a Rev2, there are also 2 or 3 holes each side under the spoiler side pods + the aerial hole on the O/s.
Have they also quoted you for welding those up and then spraying both rear quarter panels completely ?
If your £300 quote includes that as well, providing they do a good job, I think the price is very reasonable. :D

I wasn't actually told if the holes would be filled or welded... And I agree now that £300 is a fair price, it's just that time of year that the money has to go on presents for the little lady etc etc lol perhaps I should get rid of the bird and focus more on the car haha :mrgreen: :lol:

Return to “Modifications”