Driving in snow

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Davsurfa

Driving in snow

Post by Davsurfa »

So this will be my first winter in a 2, I'm curious as to what they're like to drive in the snow? Last year I had an Impreza so the snow wasn't an issue, a couple of years ago I had an E36 which was a handful but with the addition on a paving slab in the boot it coped ok. Are there any tips for driving a 2 in the white stuff that you guys could share other than a lighter right foot?
Adam86
Premium Member

Re: Driving in snow

Post by Adam86 »

They are quite good because of the engine weight sat on the rear tyres. Especially up hills you'll be surprised.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Yes brilliant in snow my na got everywhere I wanted to :thumleft: also big fun in empty car park :lol:
Donato

Post by Donato »

Best car I've driven in the snow, surprisingly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you Englanders must have different snow from Scots, I've driven turbos and N/As in the snow up here and they are just hopeless!!!
Rory

Post by Rory »

:shock: Worst car ive ever driven in the snow.
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

They are ok in the snow until the centre ridge of snow / ice builds up high enough to hit the front then you are knackered :wink:
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Hahaha Rory why so bad? And I'm hoping they're capable cuz I really don't wanna have to resort to driving the otherhalfs Ford Fusion!
Harold

Post by Harold »

The car is better than most RWD due to having the engine over the rear wheels which benefits traction hugely. But the width of your tyres makes the biggest difference, on 225 width I've not had any major problems getting around. But I also live in the south west so we don't get much proper snow and it doesn't last long if we do.

If you were trying to drive with much wider tyres than 225 then I'd expect it to be pretty rubbish.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

ive never tried to drive my 2 in the snow, she stays in the garage, the company insignia is crap, even if there is a dusting!

The last company bus, car a volvo went everywhere i used to drive past all the BMWs etc planted in the weeds, great fun, and very safe

i just dont feel like risking taking the 2 out in the snow, i am more worried about someone hitting the brakes and waiting for the bang......into me!

brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

My rev 2 turbo was better in snow than my rev3 tubby in rain weirdly enough but there obviously wasnt as much torque in the rev2. If you got a turbo id refrain from using boost as you WILL lose the rear end!
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

All 4 MR2 Ive had have been reasonable in the snow as long as you are very careful!

The purple one was the best one though - despite the veilside kit on it.

The snow used to go way higher than the front splitter but it was still ok to drive.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You can kiss your fibreglass front bumper goodbye once it gets to a certain depth. Other than that, drive 1 or 2 gears higher than normal (3rd gear pulloffs are fun!) and stay away from the boost!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
VanderBoon

Post by VanderBoon »

Been wondering this myself, should be interesting this winter.
Gordy75

Post by Gordy75 »

Mine was surpriseingly good in the snow last year and got me around comfortably, as said weight over rear helps loads with traction but hurts brakeing, not massively but just use gearing to help! :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Yes pretty good in the snow. I've run 255 width winter tyres during even the heavy snow of a few years ago with no problems. In fact my mr2 was one of very few cars that could drive up the incline into the work car park when it was covered in snow - just drive sensibly and have the right tyres and you should be fine :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Kongaroo wrote:Yes pretty good in the snow. I've run 255 width winter tyres during even the heavy snow of a few years ago with no problems. In fact my mr2 was one of very few cars that could drive up the incline into the work car park when it was covered in snow - just drive sensibly and have the right tyres and you should be fine :thumleft:

255 for a snow? :o
I was using 195 :) But probably the amount of snow in Lithuania and UK is very different.
Some fun on a snowy roads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAY7w-vydiw
synXero

Post by synXero »

Any car is much improved with winter tyres, most people don't seem to bother because it costs so much to do.

On the other hand - you ruin your 'summer' tyres by driving them in freezing conditions, so perhaps you actually save money.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

synXero wrote:Any car is much improved with winter tyres, most people don't seem to bother because it costs so much to do.

On the other hand - you ruin your 'summer' tyres by driving them in freezing conditions, so perhaps you actually save money.

There is impossible to drive (normally) with summer tyres on a snow... Unless the snow is different in UK :)
Harold

Post by Harold »

synXero wrote:Any car is much improved with winter tyres, most people don't seem to bother because it costs so much to do.

How is it that summer tyres are ruined by driving in freezing conditions?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”