[All] [Generic] Sheard bolt removal

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

[All] [Generic] Sheard bolt removal

Post by Polypedates »

I need to remove a sheared bolt from the gearbox of my Mk1.

What are the options. Are there any bolt removal tools that actually work (LH drill bits, bolt extractors, EZ Outs etc.) or will I just have to drill it out and hope I don't mullar the treads in the gearbox casing?

I tried mole grips but they just turned on the stud and chewed it up despite plenty of Plusgas and heating up the casing.

Thanks
thomp1983

Re: [All] [Generic] Sheard bolt removal

Post by thomp1983 »

Got a vice? heat it up tighten it as much as you can in a vice and turn the box or get a nut welded on it

Chris
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Removing studs is a bit of a black art. The stud removal kits available to the DIYer aren't really up to the job. A professional jobbie will be so expensive that it wouldn't justify the outlay. Take the gearbox to a garage and entrust it to them. You wont regret it.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Welding onto the end of the stud is a great idea- it gets a LOT of heat into it very quickly, then the vice/ molegrips again, lots of penetrating oil...sometimes worth tapping the stud with a hammer as well to help shock it.

If you have a friendly garage it may be worth taking it to them before you break the portion of the stud you still have standing proud of the casing...once that is broken below the casing level removal gets a lot harder!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

with the help of some heat and one of these, came out!

Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Assuming the case of the gearbox is ali, heat that (rather than the bolt) as hot and as quick as you can. It'll expand at a greater rate than the mild steel stud/bolt, and loosen its grip on the thread.

Have a pair of grips of some such on the thread ready to undo it.

Return to “Mechanical”