[Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox on an N/A

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LukeSi

[Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox on an N/A

Post by LukeSi »

Well after 9 months of owning the car, a major mechanical issue has finally reared its head. My 3rd gear synchro has decided it no longer wants to do its job. So pretty much unless I've got the revs matched it crunches when changing down from either 4th or 5th into 3rd.

Looking on eBay for a replacement gearbox has turned up no results, however there seem to be a number of reconditioned Turbo gearboxes up for sale with LSDs fitted.

That got me wondering, would it be possible to fit a Rev 3 N/A with the gearbox from a Rev 3+ Turbo. Aside from the clutch, what other components would have to be replaced for this to work, and what would happen to the car performance wise?
Tedtiler

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Turbo gearbox on an N/A

Post by Tedtiler »

The na gearbox is over geared enough, put a turbo one on and performance will suffer. It's also heavier and needs hubs and driveshafts to match.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

LukeSi wrote:Aside from the clutch, what other components would have to be replaced for this to work, and what would happen to the car performance wise?

Flywheel and clutch are different. As are driveshafts.

Just find a good N/A box (normal prices is around £100) or have your synchro ring replaced (more expensive).

I have a mint N/A gearbox right now, but forum rules don't allow me to state price here. PM me for more info.
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Amusingly since posting this earlier I've actually sourced a good Rev 3 gearbox. Just need to find out how much it will be to get it fitted. Clutch needed doing anyway.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

LukeSi wrote:Amusingly since posting this earlier I've actually sourced a good Rev 3 gearbox. Just need to find out how much it will be to get it fitted. Clutch needed doing anyway.

There you go! :thumleft:

PM me if you want prices.

Return to “Mechanical”