Big boot intercooler

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MegatronUK

Big boot intercooler

Post by MegatronUK »

Reckon this would squeeze into a mk1 boot? ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

(core size 680mm x 310mm)... One intake scoop under each side of the spoiler?

:lol:
JJ

Re: Big boot intercooler

Post by JJ »

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it !!! :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Fonzy

Post by Fonzy »

same size as my custom intercooler only looks a bit thinner, should fit fine, im still a little unsure of the very best way to get air to it though, theres not a great deal of scoop room under there!
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest problem with relocating the intercooler to the boot...

Stuck a bid in anyway... I'll figure out how to fit it later! Bargain if it doesnt go much higher...
steve b

Post by steve b »

Fonzy wrote:same size as my custom intercooler only looks a bit thinner, should fit fine, im still a little unsure of the very best way to get air to it though, theres not a great deal of scoop room under there!

try to get a look at the back of a Noble they have the intercooler mounted at the back.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Though you could duct air from the top, how are you going to get the air out again IYSWIM?

For efficient intercooling you need to get a through flow of air. I guess you could relocate the number plate and have ducting to a grill where the number plate currently resides.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

I was thinking along those lines Lauren, either an ally tunnel to behind the number plate, or even to the back edge of the boot floor, exiting behind the bumper?, or something a bit more heath robinson, like two lengths of flexible ducting from the boxed-in intercooler, one to each corner of the boot, exiting through the bottom.

Of course this would mean the boot would be completely unusable, unless there were some way of fixing the interccol to the underside of the boot lid itself, with some kind of flexible intake piping (does such a thing exist!???)

I'll have to take a look at Pauls pic of his Supra intercooler again...
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

MegatronUK wrote:I was thinking along those lines Lauren, either an ally tunnel to behind the number plate, or even to the back edge of the boot floor, exiting behind the bumper?, or something a bit more heath robinson, like two lengths of flexible ducting from the boxed-in intercooler, one to each corner of the boot, exiting through the bottom.

Of course this would mean the boot would be completely unusable, unless there were some way of fixing the interccol to the underside of the boot lid itself, with some kind of flexible intake piping (does such a thing exist!???)

I'll have to take a look at Pauls pic of his Supra intercooler again...

I have a boot mounted IC

Click Me

:wink: [/url]
Fonzy

Post by Fonzy »

spikey dude! will that not be taking in warm air frm the engine lid! :?
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Fonzy wrote:spikey dude! will that not be taking in warm air frm the engine lid! :?

No. I have no fans sucking in air, and the boot is all stripped out to bare metal. Its chilly in my boot :)

The heat the comes from the engine is not great enough to cause any effect to the temp of the outside air...... its just like sticking your hand out of the window when driving, thats the temps thats getting 'scooped' in!

To put simply, I can leave my hands on the IC pipes from the IC to the throttle body, no matter how much I have canned it. The IC is a BIIIIIGGG MOFO and sits comfortably in the boot....best place for it IMO! Get more heat soak in having Stock located aftermarklet IC's like the HKS ones etc!

:lol:
Fonzy

Post by Fonzy »

:lol: :twisted:

Return to “Modifications”