Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nimz

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by nimz »

Both cars looking awesome :thumleft: Does the TOMs kit in waiting mean a possible greddy sideskirt sale? :whistle:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

It does indeed my friend. Although they are genuine so wont be cheap :whistle:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Made a little start on swapping my front bumpers today.

Damaged one off.

Had a quick look on the inside for a stamp to see if it was genuine. I guessed it would be as everything else on the car is but just wanted to be sure.

\:D/ AirWalker baby!

Pretty sure the new one is genuine as well but cant see the stamp as the previous owner who had it repaired had a complete fibreglass skin added to the inside.

After looking at the the new front bumper it seems im missing a few vital parts. The brackets that fit on the bumper that have the studs and anchor nuts to secure the bumper to the car. I don't want to split them from the damaged bumper as I plan on getting it repaired and keeping it as a spare so im on the look out for some more.

New Front

Missing brackets

So i turned my attention to making a front grill. Mainly to protect the air con rad but also because they are aesthetically pleasing :wink:

Once i'm happy that the bumper is ready for its final fit, I'll tiger seal them in place.
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Been quite a busy weekend.
Fed up of this crappy weather stopping me from getting out on the car so wondered next door to see if one of their garages was free (they have 2 huge double garages). As it happens, one of his cars is having some work done so he's let me use the free space until it's back in about 4 weeks :mrgreen:

Now I've had a full bodykit spread across various rooms of the house for the best part of 2 years now! So decided to make a start on test fitting that.
Going to be completely overhauling the suspension too.
Also, got a few goodies arriving this Friday/Saturday \:D/ Thanks to Julian and George_m so I'll get pics of them up asap :D

Got some Border mirrors that needed rubbing down and respraying first. Only in primer at the moment but will be finished off next weekend hopefully.

Horrible paint job by previous owner, don't think they even keyed up the surface before spraying them black. Most of the paint flaked off with a scraper!

Made a start on the car. Got it jacked up and started by removing the Greddy sideskirts and rear bumper.

Wings and front struts were next up.

Time to get the vented wings fitted :) How hard could it be, right? :-#
Spent an age cutting and fettling to try and fit the drivers side and it was still miles out :( ](*,) First time I've ever done anything like this so got my dad to come and have a look to see if I was just being stupid. After trying to line things up for another 10 mins we decided it was way too much effort and we were getting nowhere. So instead im going to cut up my original wings and fabricate my own vent. Should be interesting! :pale: haha.

Few pics of the failed attempt...

When the bump strips were lined up the mounting points were nearly an inch off!

So I moved onto the new sideskirts and rear bumper. Both Genuine TOMS items so should be a piece of cake :thumleft:

Took about 20 mins to get them both mounted \:D/
Apparently there's a decent painter not far from me so gonna pop down and have a chat sometime in the very near future.

That was about as much as I could do, bodywork wise for the moment. So moved onto the suspension.

Little list of everything I've got planned -

Bilstein B6 struts (Yellow Billies)
HKS springs
Prothane Polybush kit
TRD ARB's
New drop links
New track rod ends
New ball joints
All suspension arms blasted and painted in POR-15 Black.

All the struts are out, and I suspect my rear calipers may have seized while its been sat over winter as they were a real pig to get off :(

Polybushes will be here in about 2 weeks.
I can only work on the car on weekends due to working away from home, so I'm gonna have to be quick at the removal and paint so its all ready when the bushes arrive.
I've cracked all the nuts and bolts in the suspension arms, except the two 24mm nuts either side at the rear because my socket wasn't deep enough to get over the thread #-o I'll pick one up during the week and attack it again on the weekend :twisted:

Very pleased with my weekends work :) I really enjoy working on the car when I'm not getting rained on :lol:

Almost forgot! Bought a gravity fed blaster gun and a bucket load bicarbonate of soda last week (i love ebay) so hopefully they are here by the weekend and I can have some fun with that :twisted: :lol: haha.
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Got the rest of my suspension removed this weekend.

Cleaned up all the arms, removed the bushes and gave everything a fresh lick of paint.
Polybushes, ball joints, track rod ends and steering rack arms are on order from Peter so hopefully they are here by next weekend and I can start rebuilding everything :mrgreen:

Pics...

Dirty work! :lol:

Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Suspension rebuilt and fitted. Just waiting on the TRD anti roll bars to be returned from the paint shop and it'll all be done.

All arms and hubs have been cleaned down and painted black with POR15
Black Prothane Polybush kit
New ball joints
New track rod ends
New Steering rack arms
New(ish) drop links
Refurbed my Bilstein B6's
Cleaned and re-used my HKS springs
TRD anti roll bars will be white
:mrgreen:

Couple of pics...

Couple of big updates to come in the next few weeks :mrgreen:
Some of you are/may be aware of my next couple of purchases. All will be revealed when it's under way in a week or two :D Cant wait!
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craig

Post by craig »

:shock: Nice job on the suspension!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

excellent work.. I'm a big fan of the attention to detail. awesome work area too.. only having a single garage is depressing in this weather!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Nice work Josh... And Trev...

simba90 wrote:Cant wait!

Me too...

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Thanks :) Ye I can't take credit for all the work, my dad has been lending a helping hand.
The make shift 'spray booth' is our single garage and the car is actually being worked on next door in my neighbours garage while his car is out having work done :)

mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Love a full toms kitted mr2 in white. Great thread mate, shall be watching with interest. Very nice work :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Matty, kit should be back from the painters either this week or next week so wont be long before it's fitted :)

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Nice work on the suspension, im going to be updating all my suspension during the summer at some point so this is a good guide to what i need to do :mrgreen:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

I mentioned a while back that I was having engine issues. Low compression in cylinder 4.
Having already had to replace a cracked piston earlier last year, I decided that I either wanted to go forged or bring my v6 plans forward and start that. Started pricing up forged builds and scoured ebay for 2gr's.
In one of my searches here I managed to stumble across a forged engine that Martin F had for sale. His initial sale ad was from October last year but I dropped him a pm and luckily for me, it was still for sale :)
After a few pm's back and forth, a deal was made :mrgreen: I ended up buying his rebuilt gearbox as well, due to mine having a slight crunch into 1st.

Need a bigger turbo now as well dont I :roll: :lol:

So the Garret GT28 kit that Peter is selling seemed like the perfect match for my current needs :wink:

Few phone calls later and it's all planned out.
Driving my car up to sbits today with the aim of swapping the new engine, gearbox and turbo in this weekend \:D/

Gonna be like a kid at Christmas :mrgreen:

I'll update and add pictures when I can :thumleft:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice one! That's gonna be proper fun once you get it all fitted :mrgreen:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Busy weekend at sbits! don't forget a quick write up when its in :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Setting off for SBITS today.
Bomex mirrors were finished off and fitted. KO Racing R1 exhaust was also fitted last weekend.

slipping clutch wrote:Busy weekend at sbits! don't forget a quick write up when its in :thumleft:

I'll be taking pictures throughout the swap and a little write-up will be done :thumleft:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

No rest for the wicked eh, Peter :lol:

A GT28 is a good choice of turbo, as you're not plagued with lag and get plenty enough power for a '2. Very interested to see the results, Josh :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Bobbin' down to Sbits today mate, so probably see you and the rest of the crew there. :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”