How to remove this?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

How to remove this?

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

How do you remove this plate?

And is there another bearing as well as the big one?

kaiowas

Re: How to remove this?

Post by kaiowas »

The hub presses out from the other side (although you may need to get creative when finding a way to support the upright securely in a horizontal position in the press)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Is there not a circlip holding this in position before you press the bearing out?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

No, it's held in by a combination of friction and the driveshaft (which you've already removed).

It is a purposely tight fit and it's likely that the outer race of the bearing will still be attached to the hub when it comes out (which will then need to be removed seperately)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Thanks mate :)
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Do you have access to a press Alex ?
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Not at work I don't, but i've found a guide on the repair manual so I can strip most of it before I take it to a garage.

My mate at Kwik fit said he'll get em both out and put em back in for £50 which I thought was quite pricey so trying to find somewhere else cheaper.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Not at work I don't, but i've found a guide on the repair manual so I can strip most of it before I take it to a garage.

My mate at Kwik fit said he'll get em both out and put em back in for £50 which I thought was quite pricey so trying to find somewhere else cheaper.

if he was a mate surely he would just do it as a favour..
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sadly not.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I wouldn't let Kwik-Fit smell the odour of my car let alone touch it :D
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
stenky

Post by stenky »

you can get a screw type 3-jaw bearing puller for 50 pounds and do the stripping yourself
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Not at work I don't, but i've found a guide on the repair manual so I can strip most of it before I take it to a garage.

£50 to change both wheel bearings is a fair price Alex. I must admit and say that I got mine done cheaper than that, but when phoning around most garages, they ranged from £20-30 per hub.

Just pay the money and get it done right first time.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Can't this be done in a vice with a lump hammer and a few suitable sized sockets?
stenky

Post by stenky »

no, no hammers on hubs and bearings please.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

aw11rally wrote:Can't this be done in a vice with a lump hammer and a few suitable sized sockets?

Even with a bearing press i've witnessed people mess this up in a big way, especially when it comes to putting the stub axle back in.

The typical mistake is they press the stub back through the new bearing, big no no, that puts the full load of the press on the bearing race, usually damaging it immediately.

I press the new bearing in, then take the outer race back off, press that alone onto the stub axle, then fit the stub by hand, flip it over and press the rear race onto the back of the stub..... this way none of the bearings internals ever see any pressure until it is nipped up by the driveshaft CV.

You'd be amazed how many trained time served mechanics don't do the above and just press the stub into the bearing.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I can't even get the old one out anyway.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”