Advice needed about bodywork.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

Advice needed about bodywork.

Post by l1ca »

Had my two now for around 5 - 6 weeks and started to notice a few bodywork issues I really want to get sorted but in a nutshell the work im looking for is to get the bodykit removed, put back on properly, all panels re-aligned and a shut door respray, still in white but as for the flavour of white im a little undecided, I am teetering over to the side of Honda Championship white at the minute though.

Anyway, I took it to a bodyshop yesterday, and after much umming and arring from the guy whether he wanted the work or not, and then giving me the lecture of "I keep telling people not to buy fibre galss kits..." and "its a 19 year old car, is it worth it?", he gave me an ambiguous quote of a minimum of £2000 + vat!

Does this sound about right?

And does anyone know of any good, reputable bodyshops around the lancashire area, as close to the fylde coast as possible.

I could be wrong here as im not versed in bodywork, but £2000 (minimum) seems, high and it screams to me "I dont really want the work"
jasongtr

Re: Advice needed about bodywork.

Post by jasongtr »

full respray and removing the kit - playing around with it and refitting it - sounds about right
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Was the £2000 quote from a reputable bodyshop or a backstreet garage?

Would it not be an option to refit the kit and rub some of the bodywork down yourself mate?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

That wouldn't even cover a paint job at the place I go, so it sounds reasonable if its a reputable place :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
craig

Post by craig »

Sounds reasonable to me for a decent job.
glen n

Post by glen n »

Probably not too far off what most folk say I don't think,if you want it done right you need to spend the cash. I just had my car done,full new passenger sill and new windscreen,I removed all of the parts and put the car back together to help keep costs down so may be worth looking into? They are older cars now,but if you feel that it is worth spending some money on then why not? Body kit wise I always think they will need repaired along the way,that's why I've stayed standard on my current car,got fed up hitting the speed bumps in my street
Rory

Post by Rory »

Sounds like a bargain to me for a proper job. Is the car being fully stripped and painted for that price? I understand now why body shops don't want to take on these big jobs. Materials (good quality) cost a load and there's a huge amount of labour to do it right. They can make a lot more by turning over small jobs than they can doing a full restoration.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Therr are cheaper places ... sometimes a small indy is beter, cheaper and may take more time and pride over doing the job . Ive used lots of bodyshops in the past and only one was up to my standard.

You tend to get what you pay for with bodywork but you can get a good job for less.

Just shop around and maybe offer to strip bits of yourself to help with cost.

I had my s14a repainted from blue to white with windows out new seals, inside doors and boot painyed and a repair to rear quater and i paid £1250 .
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Therr are cheaper places ... sometimes a small indy is beter, cheaper and may take more time and pride over doing the job . Ive used lots of bodyshops in the past and only one was up to my standard.

You tend to get what you pay for with bodywork but you can get a good job for less.

Just shop around and maybe offer to strip bits of yourself to help with cost.

I had my s14a repainted from blue to white with windows out new seals inside doors and boot and a repair to rear quater and i paid £1250 .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”