Need some guidance on DIY repair

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Need some guidance on DIY repair

Post by Racer7 »

There are going to be a few 'dumb' questions that follow, so bear with me. I'm not good with this stuff!

So I think it is my alternator that is the root cause of my problems and I have done the parasitic battery tests which have lead me to that conclusion (in amongst tons of internet/oc searches).

I'm wondering if there is a pictoral guide available anywhere to guide me how to get the alternator out (Rev5 UK) so I can replace it? Before that I need to know how to do the volt test and get to it to check whether it is the round or oval plug. So some guide on that would be good.

I drained the engine oil a bit after overfilling when initially trying to extinguish the warning light on the dash. I've tightened the bolt back up and got the dipstick reading to halfway (after topping up). I'm not sure if I have an oil leak as it looks like there may have been a slow drip on my garage floor. However, checking the dipstick and the oil is in the same place - so is this indicative that it's my paranoia or can simply unbolting and re-bolting (tightened to a similar torque as before) can cause the leak?

I also have another problem in that I have a small garage. Not much space to get under the car. Can the alternator be removed without going underneath?

I really hope to get this sorted as I really want the car back on the road. I've missed a truly good summer for weather and thus the chance to actually take the t-bar panels off! So I'd at least like to drive it this year (haven't driven it anywhere since last July) :|
simpson_eh

Re: Need some guidance on DIY repair

Post by simpson_eh »

Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Thanks for the links.

I've seen those posts. I will attempt the seized fix but after I have seen how to remove it! And that's where the problem lies.

Does the Toyota maintenance manual have an illustrated guide on removing the alternator?

Space, tools and skill are all limited hence I need to be confident before go f.ing things up!
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

its a royal pita every time mine has been done they have to drop the subframe a little, there is a post somewhere have you tried the search function i know i have seen it but cant find it lol
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

You can get the alt out without dropping the subframe . You first have to disconnect the alternator and then move it about while you disconnect the bracket the alternator bolts to from the engine . Then do an Indian rope trick manoeuvre and get the bracket past the alt and out of the engine bay then alt jut pops out of the top . It is a pain though I see to remember an awkward bol t behind the driveshaft .expect to lose 4 hours of your life
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Thnks, good to hear!

I'll be trolley jacking the car up from the sub frame. I have axle stands too - is it best to have these also on either side of the sub frame or stick to the jacking points. I'm always paranoid at how strong the sills are (or aren't) at the cars age.

With the above in mind - do i get to the bolts from the bottom or from the top. If the bottom then it sounds like a lying under the car job, which I'll be perfectly honest, scares the xxxx out of me! (Good job I won't be doing it this Friday!)

3 tonne capacity trolley jack and 3 ton capacity axle stands, should be fine but it's still scary!
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Bolts on the alternator support bracket are removed from underneath. Jacking on the rear subframe is the way to go. Leave the jack in situ once on the jack stands if you like. gives a bit more reassurance.
The offside rear wheel needs to come off as well to give the best access to the alternator pivot bolt.
danjama

Post by danjama »

I sent you quite a detailed pm earlier today mate :thumleft:
rgb

Post by rgb »

one bolt from underneath and two from the top. you need to look at a picture on line to understand cause its a pita
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Are there any tips for getting the alternator belt off?

Found some pictures which certainly help a bit in understanding wheres what.

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Apart from that's not from an mr2
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

That's not the MR2 version of the 3S-GE engine (suspect it's the Celica one).

On an MR2 version the alternator is on the bottom left near where the power steering pump is in your pics, MR2's don't have power steering pumps on the engine.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Skywalker wrote:Apart from that's not from an mr2

D'oh! :oops:

Ideally the car would be up at yours, Luke. But it's SORN with no MOT. Trailering would cost too much so I'm gonna have a crack at it to try sort it then up to yours for a professional once over!

At least I know the alt is lower down now. I'm trying to fimd a pic of this bracket that is a pain to remove and figure out which of the blts are easily sheared (can't remember where I read that).

Oh well I'll be.getting under the cast today. So touch wood I survive and maybe i'll also be a little wiser after!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Might not be my alternator after all.

Couldn't figure where this bit was:

This will give room to slide your arm down and release the alternator tensioner. This is a long bolt that is 10mm. This connects to the top alternator fixing and allows you to tension the belt.

Anyway I was just gently pulling at the alternator belt to see if there was enough slack to move it off without undoing the tensioner (since I didn't know which one that was) and it appears that it's snapped. Guessing by the brittleness of the belt I think it may have been well over due. Pretty sure it wasn't me.

Anyway - so that means I need to get down to Mr T and buy a replacement but now learn how to get this back on.

I found this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_TVqlQk-_Y

but it's for a 92 whereas mine is a 99 (UK N/A) is the process the same?

Had a look underneatch and it's hard to see what and where I'm meant to feed the replacement.

Doesn't help that it's been one of those days with my spot light blowing all my bulbs so I'm now working with a desk light!

Anyone got the part number. I'm hoping this might be a stock item that I can go and pick up now.

Cheers!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Edit. Found a thread about checking to movement in the pulley. No movement = replace. Which is my luck. Back to plan A with the added requirment of the belt. ](*,)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If it's an NA you can unbolt it, pass it over the exhaust, and remove it over the top of the gearbox. The NA alternator is smaller so there's no need to muck about with the subframe. There is a thread on here detailing it, 2 secs I'll find it.

It's not a big job, it just requires simultaneous access from both above and below the car.

Edit: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=20
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Thanks Toxo.

I decided to sack it off this morning. Car will be going to Pacific Works to get sorted. Just need to get a cheap enough trailer service.

I think I could have done it/in fact I was more or less there. Just lack of tool access and strength meant I gave up! I do plan to refurb my alt though using one of the MR2OC guides. Will go the extra mile by giving it a coat of Bilt Hamber Electrox. But then, I'm unlikely to want to fit it!

For anyone else that finds this thread I eventually found a pictoral guide which is really useful to illustrate the guides available.

Also the MR2OC one says 10mm pivot bolt but its 12mm. Made me think I was going mad/wrong.

http://www.mr2.ie/mr2-forum/28-how-twos ... -non-turbo

toxo wrote:If it's an NA you can unbolt it, pass it over the exhaust, and remove it over the top of the gearbox. The NA alternator is smaller so there's no need to muck about with the subframe. There is a thread on here detailing it, 2 secs I'll find it.

It's not a big job, it just requires simultaneous access from both above and below the car.

Edit: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=20

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”