Volk TE37s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

Volk TE37s

Post by l1ca »

Browsing ebay the other day and stumbled across these alloys. Now obviously these are copies, based on the volk TE37 style.

Now my question is, what could be the differences between these and the real Volks, yea, you lose the 'genuine' factor, but at an additional £1500 who really cares!

Could they be structurally better? Deeper Colours etc? I am struggling to see why someone would spend an additional £1500?
shinny

Re: Volk TE37s

Post by shinny »

Genuine TE37s are pretty light; my front 17x7 TE37s weigh less than my 15x7 RP01s (which are good wheels in their own right!). I doubt the copies are anywhere near as light...

Also, TE37s look darn awesome!

l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Bar a bit of a weight difference... £1500?!

Getting tempted to buy the 'fakes' if thats all there is..

(offset the weight with a bigger turbo!) :twisted:
synXero

Post by synXero »

The construction of the genuine volks will undoubtedly be better. However this often seems to mean if you hit a kerb sideways or whatever, you'll badly bend your alloy as opposed to snapping it. Is that actually a good thing? How much would you even trust a repaired, badly damaged rim...

Go genuine if it is possible for you, if not, no real harm in a fake. It's only a wheel.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The TE37's are forged, copies are cast, this makes a big difference in terms of weight and strength of the wheels. Material used, finish and quality control, all far superior.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Armx02_R7Y0
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

The copy is the Rota or Varrstoen type I assume?
Decent enough, but no they are not the same thing.

Volks are forged and made in Japan.
Rotas are cast and made in the Phillipines.
Varrstoen are cast and originate states way but exactly where is difficult to say.

They don't have the same strength or lightness. YMMV for normal road use, but some people feel strongly about design copying...

Just don't buy a replica and put a volk sticker on it! That's too sad.
:eye:
shinny

Post by shinny »

Wheel lightness isn't the end of the world for a "normal" road car. I guess it depends how special you want your car to be?

+1
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

It could be Inovit wheels also as they do a set called the STVI I believe, Easily noticeable though as they're cheap (dirt cheap) and they're multi drilled.

It's got to the point that they've copied Rota who have copied Rays

Oh dear lol

A friend of mine had them on his Celica though with no issues if it makes a difference.

I've had Rota's myself and couldn't fault them if I'm honest :)
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

That come with the volk stickers / center cap though ](*,)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

shinny wrote:Wheel lightness isn't the end of the world for a "normal" road car. I guess it depends how special you want your car to be?

+1

From the std wheels you do feel a difference with a good set of lightweight ones tho.

I'd rather buy a set of genuine secondhand alloys and pay a bit of money to get them up to scratch than buy knockoff ones.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I forgot Inovit! I think they are Chinese.

I agree I don't think lightness will really be felt by the average driver.
The only time it would really matter would be a kerb/wheel interaction where the cheaper copies will come off worse.

l1ca wrote:

That come with the volk stickers / center cap though ](*,)

Doesn't mean you have to use them. :thumleft:
(That's also a breach of copyright and needs reporting to ebay...)
Last edited by tonigmr2 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

I have the copies - INOVIT ST16 and bought the car and wheels and tyres for less than £1500.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... e_id=19535.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... _id=19535.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Race Idiot wrote:From the std wheels you do feel a difference with a good set of lightweight ones tho.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, because there clearly is and you can feel it. However my point is that it won't ruin the car to stick something heavier on... provided you're happy for your car to being at best average in terms of handling and performance, rather than something a bit more special.

Race Idiot wrote:I'd rather buy a set of genuine secondhand alloys and pay a bit of money to get them up to scratch than buy knockoff ones.

So would I... but even secondhand TE37s are not exactly cheap!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Oh and another thing, JWL/VIA certification is something these wheels often claim to have. That is almost certainly a complete lie. First, that's only a standard for wheels for sale IN Japan, and means nothing outside of it. Second, in order to get the standard they have to submit the wheels for testing to Japan - each size and each style. Even Rota don't do that....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Just looked around ebay saw these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-VOLK-RAYS- ... 3a8420db9f

Personally far too close to claiming to be the original thing, and I guarantee they are not quality tested by VIA standards. I fancy complaining to trading standards actually.

Everybody should realise there is no quality standard in the UK for alloy wheels. You take your life in your hands with cheap imported untested parts IMHO. Just my opinion.

Oh and ROTA are not immune either!
http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-indu ... ducts.html
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rays and other premium wheel manufacturers put a lot of research and development into their wheel designs. The wheels are designed to be light in weight but strong enough to pass stringent quality standards. The wheel spokes, rims and hubs are all designed/engineered to be made from specific materials and use certain manufacturing processes.

So when a company makes a copy of the wheel design but uses inferior materials, casts the wheels instead and does not follow the same quality controls, the wheels can be down right dangerous.

This video is a bit cheesy but illustrates the difference in strength between a properly designed/engineered/manufactured wheel and a cheap knock off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Hmm - I havent heard anything about INOVIT's breaking but plenty about powder coated wheels breaking....

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-a ... ldren.html
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Im rocking Rota and Innovite Copy TE37's would sell them for Work Miester SP1's with better offset but these came with the car and suit the car.

synXero

Post by synXero »

I think there is a line between Rota and Volk, but IMO there is also a line between Rota and companies like Inovit.

Rota do have some standards, and I think are becoming a more legit wheel company. They make videos about their wheels and such - they do seem to actually care about the product. Yes, they have blatantly copied Volk TE37s, Advan RGIIs, Desmond Regameisters, Work CR Kais, etc. etc., but they have also modified and played with the designs in some senses. For example, the Grid Drifts, or the GTR-Ds are modified 'classics'.

All that said, I'd still rather have my Advans than a set of Wolfrace replicas.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I've have had the Inovit replica of the RE30 wheels on the MX5 for over 2 years. I bought them second hand but virtually new - primarily for the tyres that were mounted to them with the sale.

I was surprised to find the quality of them was pretty decent for what is a very cheap alloy - although it is possible that I was just lucky.

All 4 balanced up really easily with very little weight needed to balance them up. Nowadays I always watch the tyre being balanced as I've found over the years when I don't then the tyre fitters will very often cheat and just stick a single weight or two on the inside somewhere for show, lol. In fact the guy who balanced them commented on how well balanced they were.

Weight wise I have the 16x7s and they weigh approx. 6.5 to 7kg each which is reasonably light for that alloy size.

They have survived some very harsh knocks too (or maybe they just felt harsh because I was in the MX5, lol).

I have buckled a genuine TE37 rolling over some unexpected rocky debris on the motorway before, so they are strong but that won't always save you :eye:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”