[Mk2] [Turbo] celica gt four st 205 caliper conversion on mk2 sw20.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

buddle

[Mk2] [Turbo] celica gt four st 205 caliper conversion on mk2 sw20.

Post by buddle »

Hi guys i have a set of front and rear calipers off my friends st 205 celica and have been wanting to upgrade my brakes on my mk 2. I have found a post on this where someone fabricated brackets for the front calipers but is an old post and the pictures are not available to view. Wondered if anyone has done this conversion recently and found a way to bolt the front calipers on without having to make new brackets. I also have the lexus 400 front discs which will bolt on.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] celica gt four st 205 caliper conversion on mk2 sw20.

Post by toxo »

The people I'm aware of who have done this (who are few and far between) have had custom brackets made by machine shops.

You can't fit the rears as you will lose your handbrake. Well, you can, but you'd have to have a standalone handbrake caliper as well.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
uglee

Post by uglee »

Think it was Skinthespin who did that. It sounded like a lot of work and a considerable time tinkering till he was happy with it.

One day when I pull my finger out I will get the Porsche calipers fitted to mine which is a fairly simple bracket for the front. The rear incorporating a separate handbrake caliper, not so.
buddle

Post by buddle »

I didn't think it was going to be straight forward. Was hoping to get them on to match the st 205 wrc engine i have in the Mk 2. The porche calipers sound good though.
synXero

Post by synXero »

I got Supra units on mine! If it's any interest to you I can explain it.
RST

Post by RST »

^^^Having had both cars, brakes stock and aftermarket. Save yourself allot of grief -stick to stock discs and go Carbotech pads. I just wonder at the end of the day whether the extra parts swapping etc balances out the cost. It can't be far off but the Carbotechs on stock discs are IMMENSE. Much better than other cars I've jumped into.
buddle

Post by buddle »

I got Supra units on mine! If it's any interest to you I can explain it.[/quote]

what's involved to put supra brakes on?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

buddle wrote:Hi guys i have a set of front and rear calipers off my friends st 205 celica and have been wanting to upgrade my brakes on my mk 2. I have found a post on this where someone fabricated brackets for the front calipers but is an old post and the pictures are not available to view. Wondered if anyone has done this conversion recently and found a way to bolt the front calipers on without having to make new brackets. I also have the lexus 400 front discs which will bolt on.

Stay with stock brakes and the best pads.

You are never going to get a good balance just changing calipers without all the testing that toyota do in the first place.
Remember this is a mid engine car and the rear brakes do far more than a front engine car
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

bobhatton wrote:

Stay with stock brakes and the best pads.

You are never going to get a good balance just changing calipers without all the testing that toyota do in the first place.
Remember this is a mid engine car and the rear brakes do far more than a front engine car

ah here we go again, stock brakes are the best and cannot ever be beaten. [-(
uglee

Post by uglee »

Plenty of cars out there with similar weight bias as the MR2.

Stock brakes for a longevity point of view are utter turd. 18 years of driving, dozens of different cars from different marques owned that are a similar age to the MR2 and not one single brake seizing issue. MR2s owned for 12 years and lost count the amount of seized calipers possibly 10+. I've replaced with new, replaced with refurbished and they still seize after a few years.

Sometimes it's the sliders, sometimes pistons, sometimes the handbrake mechanism failing they are just a poor poor design. Yes they may work well when fully serviceable but for a road car stripping/cleaning/replacing seals and sliders every year or so is silly.

My car is sitting in the garage with another 2 seized calipers, it's not coming out again until the whole brake system has been completely replaced with brakes from another manufacturer,thats how fed up of them I am. If the bias is out it can be remedied very simply.
synXero

Post by synXero »

I've been wondering about brake bias recently.

If you have front brakes that are stronger than the rears, lets say front brakes create 150 units of force whereas rears create 100 to keep things simple. If you adjust brake bias, so as to even or approximately even the forces, are you evening the forces out at 125 units each? I imagine the caliper on the rear can't get stronger, so really you're just weakening the front unit to closer to our hypothetical 100 units of force so as to bring it inline with the rears.

Any explanations appreciated!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Good luck with finding magic brakes that dont seize. I have in the last 2 years had to rebuild my Audi S4 brakes and Mitsubishi Delica brakes. Both are twin piston sliding calipers like the MR2 and both suffer just like the MR2.

Audi was even worse as the alloy housing of the twin piston part had correded as alloy does into a mass of white powder which was crushing the rubber seal for the sliders, I had to clean all the crap out just to get the slider pins back in.

Both sets of twin piston brakes seam to suffer most on the bottom piston? does this get all the crud in it?

I'm doing the bbk that keeps the stock calipers and the discs front and rear are both equally sized like the stok items. I am doing it purely for pose value so will be using regular motor factor pads but I am guessing this setup wont effect balance?

Return to “Modifications”