[Mk2] [Turbo] Lost of oil in turbo air intake and air pipe Turbo Rev 3

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

[Mk2] [Turbo] Lost of oil in turbo air intake and air pipe Turbo Rev 3

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Hi

I have lots of oil inside the air intake pipe and entry point to my Turbo, it seems to be coming from the breather pipe and then coating the pipe and turbo intake & turbine

After noticing it I have now disconnected the breather pipe from the air intake pipe (plugged the hole) and stuck the pipe so its coming out of the top of catch can and straight down to the road so at least i'm not sucking it though my turbo / burning it now.

Anyone know why its getting so oily ?

Oil level is just below the MAX mark on dipstick so not over full and its not using it (as it was just under full when I last did oil change as that's all the oil I had left)

I have done a compression test tonight wide open throttle and all plugs removed and I'm getting an good 160 PSi per cylinder with only a couple of PSi difference between them.

Engine is a Rev 3 Turbo with 95K mile on the clock, well maintained i.e fed oil and filters etc every 6K miles but I do know the turbo oil seal exhaust end is leaking but there is no way for that to get to the intake side as its being burnt in exhaust.

Plugs are "ideally suited to engine" as per diagram in a Haynes manual (all be it for the AW11) and not crapped up (plugs changed last year after 1 snapped while undoing it)

Just after advice as to possible causes and solutions as it seems to still shift like a horse on redbull.

Also after a place that can do an exchange rebuilt turbo and has one in stock as Turbo Technics, Turbo Developments and Fensport don't have one and all want my unit to rebuild which depending on what they find wrong with it sets the price I pay and also be without car for a few days so obviously looking for the best deal.

Cheers
laze

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Lost of oil in turbo air intake and air pipe Turbo Rev 3

Post by laze »

When did you last clean your intake pipe? Oil vapour from the breather pipe will build up overtime.

Attach a catch can to the end of the breather pipe (that's currently potentially dumping oil on the road [-X) and go for a spirited drive, how much oil is in the catch can afterwards?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I wouldn't dump it on the road, It's dangerous especially for riders.

I would catch it in a bottle that way you can measure it.

Edit.. the rev3 has a catch can and drain back so shouldn't be getting puddles of oil in the intake :-k
laze

Post by laze »

gnzyza wrote:I wouldn't dump it on the road, It's dangerous especially for riders.

Edit.. the rev3 has a catch can and drain back so shouldn't be getting puddles of oil in the intake :-k

It does but it also has a breather pipe that runs from the catch can to the intake which oil vapour travels down. It might also be worth checking the OEM catch can's oil return pipe to make sure it's not clogged up or kinked.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

gnzyza wrote:I wouldn't dump it on the road, It's dangerous especially for riders.

bare in mind a catchcan shouldnt be catching "oil", but "oil vapour".
when this cools and/or sticks, it will turn into liquid and mix with any air around/condensation to create a watery liquid which you usually see in aftermarket catchcans.

in terms of the oem catchcan, it doesnt really get a chance to mix with condensation as any oil created from the vapours goes straight back to the head unlike most if not all catchcans via a pipe.

what im saying is, if the engine is not screwed, a pipe leading to the ground wont be spraying oil out, just vapour. depends on health of engine.
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Hi all

Thanks for the reply

Done a little investigating and found it to be normal.

It takes a while for it to build up from clean so I am not too concerned now.

Was thinking Turbo had worn oil seals but a weeks worth of driving and no oil at all in the air intake pipe or compressor housing.

The breather pipe had 1 maybe 2 drips of oil just about formed on the end that was pointing out the bottom of the car, the top end from catch can looks clean so think that the oil is what was left in the pipe has run down.

I think what has been happening is the turbo has been sucking the oil vapour from the oil catch can and therefore covering its self.

Have now made a small aluminium cylinder that the breather pipe is now plumbed into which has a hole in the top that should catch any drips of oil should any make it out the original catch can, and permanently blocked off the breather feed to the air intake hose, this should be the end of the thick black gunk.

I can see right though the original catch can when off the car and pipes removed, is this normal or should there be some sort of mesh or sponge to actually catch the oil ??

Did check all the hoses for blocks and kinks all ok, compression test ok, plugs ok.

How do you upload photos on a forum page ? been trying to figure it out.

cheers for all help over this.

Return to “Mechanical”