[Mk2] [Turbo] gearbox options ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigdave247

[Mk2] [Turbo] gearbox options ?

Post by bigdave247 »

after another long trip to the nurburgring, i was wondering if there are any other gearbox's that fit onto the turbo engine besides the factory one, to do a better job at motorway speeds i have herd something about putting the 5 th gear out off an avensiss into the mr2 box but was also wondering if there are any 6 speed boxes that would fit and handle the power off the turbo engine. :?
Rory

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] gearbox options ?

Post by Rory »

I thought the stock box was geared for 160mph flat out. Should cruse nicely at legal motorway speeds. How fast do you want to go?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

160mph confirmed via gps :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

I think you'll face considerable expense by trying to mod your gearbox or fit a 6 speed. The stock box seems pretty strong and motorway cruising should be fine. Years back a member on here did change his gearing. Check out his old project thread -

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36717
synXero

Post by synXero »

Google extended fifth gear mod.

I doubt you'd change the box. The turbo box is super strong and gets used by lots of mega power kit car type builds. It's good for something like 700hp? That was the last claim I heard.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Rory wrote:I think you'll face considerable expense by trying to mod your gearbox or fit a 6 speed. The stock box seems pretty strong and motorway cruising should be fine. Years back a member on here did change his gearing. Check out his old project thread -

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36717

i wonder when mark will return!
:thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

synXero wrote:Google extended fifth gear mod.

I doubt you'd change the box. The turbo box is super strong and gets used by lots of mega power kit car type builds. It's good for something like 700hp? That was the last claim I heard.

http://jalopnik.com/5894921/meet-the-mo ... -the-world

That uses an E153 (MK2 turbo gearbox)!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

The turbo box is certainly very strong, there are other 6speed boxes that can be made to fit just need a closer look.
the lotus Evora uses a 6speed box with an adaptor plate to mate to the 2Grfe engine.
there is also a 6speed auto using paddle shifts which is a direct fit to the 2Grfe in the evora ips if you feel like manuals are outdated I suspect you will need deep pockets tho. :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

gavinda wrote:The turbo box is certainly very strong, there are other 6speed boxes that can be made to fit just need a closer look.
the lotus Evora uses a 6speed box with an adaptor plate to mate to the 2Grfe engine.
there is also a 6speed auto using paddle shifts which is a direct fit to the 2Grfe in the evora ips if you feel like manuals are outdated I suspect you will need deep pockets tho. :thumleft:

Both Toyota boxes allegedly http://wiki.seloc.org/a/2GR-FE_Gearboxes
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

Yep so should be strong, especially as the 2grfe has 300hp+ in supercharged format.

The ea60 is from the 2.0 diesel so this could be affordable, but there is definitely an adaptor plate needed as Toyota never put it to the 2gr only lotus did that and with a plate

Return to “Modifications”