[Mk2] [NA] Clunking from rear of car?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan6926

[Mk2] [NA] Clunking from rear of car?

Post by Ryan6926 »

Hi all I'm hoping you can help me (again please)

I've recently got my MR2 and have noticed a somewhat annoying metallic clunking sound from the rear of the car mainly when on a flat road or over an uneven surface.
The car is lowered on FK Silverline coilovers (A year to year and a half old max)

Chris was kind enough to give the car a check over before the MOT and has told me what I need although the majority seems to be from the front.

Now from the rear I think there's a slightly sticking rear caliper but I'm not convinced that'd be the cause of the clunking as well. The handbrake isn't particularly great but again I'm not sure it's likely to be that either?

I anyone has any ideas it'd be appreciated as I suspect it'd cause the car to fail it's MOT and I've not got a huge amount of money to try and get it all fixed up.

Could it be rear drop links possibly as they're standard length and the car is lowered? I don't know a lot about the MR2 obviously as it's the first RWD car I've had and so far I'm not enjoying ownership at all :(

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated please

Thanks in advance

Ryan
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Clunking from rear of car?

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Ryan.
Sorry to hear of your woes but no reason to think it'll be an MOT fail if you don't know what it is so let's look on the bright side shall we?
It could well be a droplink knocking which is a very easy fix with a new link but then it could equally be many other things. If you have no experience of MR2s get it along to somebody who does or just any capable garage since there is nothing particularly tricky or difficult about the suspension and get it diagnosed. Noises are notoriously difficult to pinpoint without being there in person so the best we can do here will be to point you to possibilities but a decent garage can test those possibilities till they find the culprit. Whereabouts are you?
As for the calliper it may just need a service but if not you can get reasonably priced reconditioned units (and any other oem part new and secondhand that you'll ever need) from Trevor at TCB parts. The handbrake can be adjusted to an extent so that may be an easy fix also rather than necessarily having to buy new cables etc.
Keep your chin up and have a little patience because once it's all sorted and working well you'll realise I hope just what great cars they are. They do need to be well maintained though not only to last but to get the best out of them in the driving experience.
Good luck.

R.
Ryan6926

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Clunking from rear of car?

Post by Ryan6926 »

Hi Star thanks for the reply, I can appreciate what you're saying about it being not being easy to diagnose. I'm based down in Midhurst West Sussex.

I'm trying to think of the best way to describe the noise it's effectively a hollow thump that sounds quite metallic if that makes sense.

I'm hoping the caliper will be an easy enough fix as per the handbrake as well.

My brother said basically to put it in for it's MOT and see what comes back. Strangely the bodywork is in fairly good nick for a 21 year old car it's just making a few noises, rattles and creaks which are making me a tad nervous.

I've also noticed that it's overfuelling quite a lot so I'm thinking to check the ignition timing etc. Do you know if it's possible to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU as it is with the Celica please?

Sorry for all the questions hopefully I'll pick it up soon and be able to enjoy her :)

Thanks again

Ryan

Return to “Mechanical”