Apexi induction question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

edt

Apexi induction question

Post by edt »

Installed this weekend, one of the lower bolts on the OEM air resonater was a right pain to get off!

Anyhow, I'm now left with air air temp sensor that's got nowhere to go. It was in the OEM intake pipe , however the new shiny pipe has no hole.

Can this sensor stay unplugged nearby, as I've left it, or as I suspect do I need to get by drill out?

UK Rev 4 NA car.
Ryan6926

Re: Apexi induction question

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'd suspect you'd need the actual sensor plugged in as it's going to give off all sorts of mixed signals as per the air fuel ratio needed etc. I don't know for sure but if you drill into the OEM hose just to leave it inside the hose it'll be able to correctly assess the amount of air going in.

I don't mean to worry you but are you sure it's a genuine APEXi only there's a lot of fakes going around and I would have thought the genuine would have the place for the sensor to go but may well be wrong as I''ve only ever had Blitz / HKS filters

Also make sure you reset the ECU to put it back into 'learn mode' to sort it'[s fuelling out accordingly etc
edt

Post by edt »

Ryan6926 wrote:
I don't mean to worry you but are you sure it's a genuine APEXi only there's a lot of fakes going around and I would have thought the genuine would have the place for the sensor to go but may well be wrong as I''ve only ever had Blitz / HKS filters

It was bought from someone on here with over 100 posts so I hope its OK.

Might be taking another trip over to Luke at Pacific Works for a service soon & see if he can sort it while I'm there. He did the clutch recently & did a top job.
edt

Post by edt »

Ryan6926 wrote:
Also make sure you reset the ECU to put it back into 'learn mode' to sort it'[s fuelling out accordingly etc

How do I ?
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Just disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. Make sure you have the radio code if you need one etc. I've never had a problem butjust disconnect it, leave it alone for a while, have a coffee or something, return back, connect it up then go for a drive. Normally about 20 miles will be enough to get it sorted enough.

I'm not saying it's definitely a fake don't get me wrong but I do know there's a fair few fakes floating around on ebay etc
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Which kit is it?

I've got an Apexi power intake and its got a slot for the sensor. Is it definitely for an MR2?
edt

Post by edt »

LukeSi wrote:Which kit is it?

I've got an Apexi power intake and its got a slot for the sensor. Is it definitely for an MR2?

The seller is a member on here. He has a rev 3 car i think. However he bought it second hand and i dont know what car it came off. After fitting it i asked him what he did with the sensor... He.said he just left it loose. Which cant be right. Might just drill it a hole. Have kept all the OEM stuff in case ot doesnt work out with this kit.

Like the noise though.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

As long as you make sure that the hole isn't too big you maybe able to just drill into the rubber piping as close to the filter as you can get but obviously not in the filter itself

You should be ok to do it that way :)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

My apexi has a small hole underneath for the sensor, ive never seen one that didnt have it.. Can u post a few pics of ur apexi please?

Also to reset ecu go for a nice 10min drive to get car heated up then park up and without disconnecting battery just remove the ecu fuse in engine bay and the ecu fuse in frunk fuse box for around 2-3 mins then re-connect them and start engine, go for a 15-20min drive and drive how u would normally drive :thumleft:
edt

Post by edt »

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I see u just got the cone, its the apexi housing that has sensor hole. Did u ask previous owner how he had it hooked up?
You will probably have to drill a hole by the looks of it or drill hole in original intake pipe
edt

Post by edt »

He left it dangling loose. Cant be right !?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

edt wrote:He left it dangling loose. Cant be right !?

It measures the temperature of the air when it's drawn in through the filter. The filter's drawing air in from the engine bay, so it's not going to be reading that far off if it's left hanging in the engine bay, is it? It's the same air!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

In my case ive got an heat shield
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

toxo wrote:

It measures the temperature of the air when it's drawn in through the filter. The filter's drawing air in from the engine bay, so it's not going to be reading that far off if it's left hanging in the engine bay, is it? It's the same air!

Does the MR2 not have a MAF sensor then?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ryan6926 wrote:
toxo wrote:

Does the MR2 not have a MAF sensor then?

Rev1-2 turbos have MAF, rev3+ is MAP.

Pretty sure NAs are all MAP.

The intake is rather different, you'd struggle to fit the wrong kit as the MAF is 4 bolts and the MAP setup the filter is attached with a big hose clip. On the MAF setup the air intake temp sensor is inside the MAF, so you couldn't have it hanging out as it's integral. On the MAP setup it's a separate sensor which is what I think the OP is talking about!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Ah that's fair enough thanks. I wasn't being argumentative I was only wondering if the Rev 3 onwards MR2's changed as the Celica's did on the UK specs etc

I learnt something new today :)
edt

Post by edt »

OK.. I made a small hole & plugged it the the sensor:

Kept it very tight so no air can escape. Just need to reset the ECU & hopefully good to go
edt

Post by edt »

The wires wouldnt reach to the OEM black rubber piping, so I had a make the hole in the nice blue hose :(
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Looks good. My mates celica has run like that for as long as I can remember, with a home made induction kit :)

That coolant hose is meant to have a hose clip on it though!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”