[Mk2] [Turbo] which intercooler kit?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steelyblue

[Mk2] [Turbo] which intercooler kit?

Post by steelyblue »

Currently looking for an intercooler kit but whats a good one to use? Ive seen a few arc ones for sale and one hks. which would be the better purchase? Thanks
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] which intercooler kit?

Post by Nic »

steelyblue wrote:Currently looking for an intercooler kit but whats a good one to use? Ive seen a few arc ones for sale and one hks. which would be the better purchase? Thanks

ARC and HKS both use very good quality cores on their intercoolers (far more efficient than a cheap ebay copy) and generally have well designed end tanks, as long as they're in good condition then either will work well. I've read of a few concerns about the routing of the piping on the HKS intercooler on the MR2, someone else may be able to expand on this.

Make sure you fit a sealed shroud with intercooler, this will force the air through the core rather than around it, see install guide here:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Inter ... er_PG1.htm

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
steelyblue

Post by steelyblue »

Thanks for the advice! Ill go for the arc one then. thanks alot
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I have an ARC and can vouch for how good it is, core is always cool even after sitting in traffic or a spirited drive. its a thick core and very interesting to fit, but well worth it.
steelyblue

Post by steelyblue »

Thanks for the advice! Ive found one for sale just awaiting the fella to get back to me then ill make the purchase. thanks again
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Nic wrote:I've read of a few concerns about the routing of the piping on the HKS intercooler on the MR2, someone else may be able to expand on this.

Yeah its ridiculous - I can't comment on the efficiency of the core versus an ebay bar and plate job (gut feeling tells me won't be THAT diff, certainly not enough to justify the cost) - but the piping is atrocious, and if fitted as is, will clearly undo some of the good work the IC is doing.

The feed to the IC from the turbo is pretty ok, follows pretty much the factory path, give or take.

The outlet from the IC is down the back low, and the pipe - narrow steel - comes from here right out and over the exhaust manifold, very close to it.

I felt improvements (never took inlet temps) just from wrapping this pipe, genuine improvements - not placebo - but ideally it needs more sensible piping IMO.
laze

Post by laze »

I have a HKS intercooler with redesigned piping.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I fitted an EMS Powered SMIC. It uses the chinese ebay core (is not that bad at all), attached to a Spal fan with a very good quality powdercoated pipes, clamps and hoses.

I'm very happy with it!

How many power are you looking for? Correct me if i'm wrong... ARC are one of the finest quality SMIC for highly modded mr2's

Regards
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

sky-net wrote: Correct me if i'm wrong... ARC are one of the finest quality SMIC for highly modded mr2's

I think you mean Power Phoenix intercooler
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I have a cheap intercooler which has served me well but needed one of the brackets welding, the core seems fine. I haven't taken the Pepsi challenge with it and compared with a known brand but it's better than stock.

If I'd done a bit of research I'd of waited for a decent one to come up as I took a bit of time getting my upgrades fitted but if you want one asap and fairly cheap then why not?
(Don't feel you need to answer that).

Return to “Modifications”