Loose passenger seat.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LukeSi

Loose passenger seat.

Post by LukeSi »

Before I start this is my own fault. Basically I had removed the passenger seat, upon putting it back in I stupidly fully tightened the front bolts before putting the rear ones in.

Upon attempting to put the rear one in it tightened to a point and then made a rather loud cracking noise. Currently the seat is mounted correctly using the other 3 bolts however the rear left one just spins freely within the hole and won't come out of the hole, nor will it tighten.

I'm guessing I've ruined the thread in the hole which is annoying, or could it just be that the thread on the bolt has gone and that is what is causing it to spin. I've got plenty of free time and don't generally carry passengers, is there any way I would be able to save the thread in the hole if it is still intact and be able to remove the bolt?
Gullzter

Re: Loose passenger seat.

Post by Gullzter »

Have u tried wedging the bolt away from the hole with a flat driver then try to undo it.. That might work to get it out
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

If you sit in it and do the funky chicken is it loose?

If so its an MOT fail
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

You have broken the captive nut off the chassis . The only way you will be able to fix it is to chisel off he cover piece of metal over the captive nut under the car , then grip the captive nut with some visegrips and undo the bolt .
You will then need to get the captive nut reattached ( welded ) if it is still useable ,probably cross threaded though .

If you go down the route of having to have a new nut welded under the chassis remember the bolts which hold down the seat are metric fine thread .

Once all that is done cover the captive nut with a suitable new piece of metal and underseal or paint as required

If you are wondering yes this has happened to me
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

3sgte wrote:You have broken the captive nut off the chassis . The only way you will be able to fix it is to chisel off he cover piece of metal over the captive nut under the car , then grip the captive nut with some visegrips and undo the bolt .
You will then need to get the captive nut reattached ( welded ) if it is still useable ,probably cross threaded though .

If you go down the route of having to have a new nut welded under the chassis remember the bolts which hold down the seat are metric fine thread .

Once all that is done cover the captive nut with a suitable new piece of metal and underseal or paint as required

If you are wondering yes this has happened to me

My reply was about to be "b0ll0cks" but then I remembered that the car is going in for some welding work so will get the garage to sort it (unless obviously the screwdriver trick works). I blame Toyota :P

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”