[Mk2] [Turbo] persistent cam cover oil leak, help!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Turbo] persistent cam cover oil leak, help!

Post by alex687 »

So my cam cover won't stop leaking oil from the corner near the distributor. I re fit a genuine Toyota gasket myself and then had peter at sbits re do it, both times applying sealant in the right spots. Still leaking. I am tempted to do it again and completely smother the whole area with sealant.

Any other ideas/tips/advice welcome...
mrturbotom

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] persistent cam cover oil leak, help!

Post by mrturbotom »

Needs to be very clean. You can run sealant along the rear edge, I do
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

What bolts are you using? The standard cross head screws are difficult to tighten properly and vibrate loose, I just fitted cap screws to mine to try and stop this.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

toecutter wrote:What bolts are you using? The standard cross head screws are difficult to tighten properly and vibrate loose, I just fitted cap screws to mine to try and stop this.

what size cap screws did you use and do you know if they are the same on all mr2s?
alex687

Post by alex687 »

mrturbotom wrote:Needs to be very clean. You can run sealant along the rear edge, I do

I did clean it thoroughly. U just run a thin film of sealant along the metal surface of the head (ie under the gasket)?? or do u put it on the cam cover itself too (in the groove in which the gasket sits)? What sealant do u use mate? I got some locktite stuff which says on packaging only use up to 200 degrees, that gonna be alright?

The nuts are standard 8/10mm hex bolts, how tight should these be?
mark239

Post by mark239 »

sure its not leaking out the distributor seal?

Either that or the cover is warped.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

I think I may have found what was causing it. I'm not sure what the part is called but the semi circular clamp thing that holds down the camshaft where it connects to the distributor. One of the bolts holding it down turned out not to be fully tightened. I dunno what torque they should be at but i did it up nice and tight and as it tightened i saw oil being squeezed out from under it. I degreased it all and smeared a bit of sealant around its edges before refitting cam cover. So far so good but won't know for sure for a while.

Also in hindsight I thought I probably shoulda found out if it has some sort of gasket itself and removed it, cleaned it properly and resealed it. Anyway hopefully I have sorted it, can't be bothered removing the cam cover again!

Oh and btw I had already tried distributor o ring seal at the same time I replaced the cam cover gasket the first time.

Return to “Mechanical”