[Mk2] [Turbo] What's people's thoughts on wrapping hot and cold intercooler pipes?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] What's people's thoughts on wrapping hot and cold intercooler pipes?

Post by joemacmr2 »

Getting very conflictive answers on this. Has anyone done it and if so, did they notice any difference?
dan mkii

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What's people's thoughts on wrapping hot and cold intercooler pipes?

Post by dan mkii »

Ive been reding alot about this too and get lots of mixed opinions.

One thing that makes me think that its a good idea... is that i recently see under the bonnet of the current btcc honda civic in which every pipe including the airbox was wrapped in gold heat reflective tape.
rs007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What's people's thoughts on wrapping hot and cold intercooler pipes?

Post by rs007 »

I don't see how it can be a bad idea. Unproductive at worst - might not gain anything from it - but if your pipe run is like mine when I first got the car, you will benefit.

Mines was an HKS setup and the pipe run was an abortion.

The hot pipe ran over the top of the manifold pretty much in the factory position, and went to the top port of the IC. The cold pip came from lower down the back of the IC, and ran right over - and very close too - the exhaust manifold. Literally right over it.

Evena short run would have my plenum chamber roasting, all the pipes you couldnt touch etc.

Then I wrapped them, and hey presto, plenum stayed cool to cold, even after long runs.

So, if the pipework is stupidly laid out, from a thermal point of view in the bay, the benefit is clear, it isn't even up for debate.

The debate comes in where the pipes are probably not too bad position wise, and, when the car is moving, you have air going through all the time etc etc...

My input to that would be, if you use it as an every day road car, its going to be stopped at lights, in traffic, idling all the time. There will be inevitable heat build up, and the more of it you can shield the intake air from, can only help - especially if you decide to blat it away from the lights with all that heat build up...

Thats my thoughts - backed up to some degree with real world noticable benefit on my own car; but I stress my pipe run was completely ridiculous. :)
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

I did a fair bit of reading, in the end I wrapped the cold pipe but not the hot pipe - apparently the engine bay temp is higher than the cold pipe but lower than the hot pipe, so the hot pipe can loose some heat to the engine bay.

Don't know if it helps as I did it as part of my intercooler install.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Fitting a good quality turbo blanket (don't bother with the cheap ebay cr*p) would be where I'd start, they significantly reduce the radiated heat from the turbo, after a spirited run the blanket is just warm to the touch. The knock on effect of this should be lower engine bay and intake temps.

Not cheap but DEI produce some of the best heat management products available.

http://www.designengineering.com/catego ... shield-kit
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Nic wrote:Fitting a good quality turbo blanket (don't bother with the cheap ebay cr*p) would be where I'd start, they significantly reduce the radiated heat from the turbo, after a spirited run the blanket is just warm to the touch. The knock on effect of this should be lower engine bay and intake temps.

Would love to get one of these on - when I got my car it didn't even have the stock turbo heat shield, I noticed a marked improvement just form refitting that, so I'd love to see what a decent blanket would do!
Nic

Post by Nic »

rs007 wrote:Would love to get one of these on - when I got my car it didn't even have the stock turbo heat shield, I noticed a marked improvement just form refitting that, so I'd love to see what a decent blanket would do!

It should be possible to get a blanket between the turbo and heat shield, it'd need to be one designed for an internal wastegate and have enough clearance so that wouldn't interfere with the actuator.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

My thoughts exactly... plus honda wins most btcc races or does very well and they have sensors everywhere under the bonnet so must know what there doing .
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Nic wrote:Fitting a good quality turbo blanket (don't bother with the cheap ebay cr*p) would be where I'd start, they significantly reduce the radiated heat from the turbo, after a spirited run the blanket is just warm to the touch. The knock on effect of this should be lower engine bay and intake temps.

What size blanket would a CT26 need? Am I right in saying T4?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

T3
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

bob would that be same size on a gt3071r to ?? as in t3

sorry for the thread hijack
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Thanks for all input guys. I have standard intercooler and pipe work. Mite try and wrap cold pipe and see how I get on. Where's the handiest place to get some reflective wrap/tape?
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

I just got a roll from halfords for less then £4 ....
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

simpson_eh wrote:bob would that be same size on a gt3071r to ?? as in t3

sorry for the thread hijack

It depends on the mounting flange size, is it T3 or T4
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gtschris.com

Dei

Post by gtschris.com »

joemacmr2 wrote:Thanks for all input guys. I have standard intercooler and pipe work. Mite try and wrap cold pipe and see how I get on. Where's the handiest place to get some reflective wrap/tape?

We keep quite a bit of the Dei stuff instock (search DEi on gtschris.com), super handy on race car & motorsport prep work.

The turbo insulation kits pretty good value for money.

Remember exhaust wraps is for exhausts, it keeps heat in so not ideal for IC pipe work, reflecting heat off IC pipes is the way to go.

If you have not got an alloy top cold pipe, a one piece Berk technology IC pipe is a good upgrade over steel type greddy copy intercooler kit type part.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

ive just fitted a PTP turbo blanket on mine. excellent quality and was only £120 shipped from the states.
definatly worth having though as it does cut down on heat in the engine bay
rs007

Re: Dei

Post by rs007 »

gtschris.com wrote:
Remember exhaust wraps is for exhausts, it keeps heat in so not ideal for IC pipe work, reflecting heat off IC pipes is the way to go.

As an insulating layer tho, it can't possibly "know" what it is on - it stops or slows the transmission of heat energy full stop.

Kinda like how a flask will keep hot soup hot, but also keep ice cold drinks ice cold, basic insulating layers don't discriminate, simple thermodynamics.

Not saying you are wrong, perhaps the reflective is better - but wrapping a pipe can't NOT slow the transmission of heat energy, one way or t'other :)

I didn't take IAT measurements, but I think I will soon, with my pipes wrapped versus unwrapped...
rs007

Post by rs007 »

dawesy wrote:ive just fitted a PTP turbo blanket on mine. excellent quality and was only £120 shipped from the states.
definatly worth having though as it does cut down on heat in the engine bay

And keeps that heat inside the turbo which helps it work better, thats a good price!!

Really want one of these... just because lol :D
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

ive also wrapped my intercooler pipe work with this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140580523250? ... 1423.l2649
Nic

Post by Nic »

Cusco IC pipes are interesting, they use fins strategically placed on the pipework which they claim helps to cool the intake temps.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Modifications”