Hks ssqv broken

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chrisrev2gt

Hks ssqv broken

Post by chrisrev2gt »

It's a genuine item and going home from work and all of a sudden I hear this whistle type noise coming from the turbo.
Opened the lid and revved the car and the noise came from the bov suspected diaphragm split.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?

also wanna say thanks to luke at pacific works for giving me his time and advice :thumleft:
uglee

Re: Hks ssqv broken

Post by uglee »

Open it up and it will probably be the plastic welds at the rear of the valve that have failed resulting in the valve not seating properly.

For the money they really are poorly made.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

uglee wrote:For the money they really are poorly made.

this is why i will never buy a genuine one again. they are crap, no better than the copies, and it's the copies i've bought that i HAVE'NT had any problems with!! my genuine one completely failed in the winter when frost stuck it together, when it tried to release, it ripped itself apart. spend £40 on a copy mate.
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

it had me really worried i thought it was the turbo but i noticed straight away that alot of air was coming throught the bov at idle. Then a strange noise at high revs only way i can descibe the noise was if a ghost was in the turbo :lol: well i dont want to spend that sort of money again on one so i will go with a copy :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I have silver copys in stock and they are better quality than the originals too, this is actually the only forum I know of where the members seem smart enough to know that the originals are a total rip off.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

chrisrev2gt wrote:it had me really worried i thought it was the turbo but i noticed straight away that alot of air was coming throught the bov at idle. Then a strange noise at high revs only way i can descibe the noise was if a ghost was in the turbo :lol: well i dont want to spend that sort of money again on one so i will go with a copy :thumleft:

Nothing worse than a haunted turbo! :shock:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've had my genuine SSQV for 5 years (bought well used even then), used in all weather and never had a problem.

Copies are all very well but do you think they have copied the spring rates of the originals or made something that 'looks' right? At least with the genuine ones you know that the spring rate was calculated not to damage your engine.....
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Rob wrote:I've had my genuine SSQV for 5 years (bought well used even then), used in all weather and never had a problem.

Copies are all very well but do you think they have copied the spring rates of the originals or made something that 'looks' right? At least with the genuine ones you know that the spring rate was calculated not to damage your engine.....

I agree, the copies I've had have never performed as well and the spring is certainly nowhere near as good. The adjustment on a genuine is very usable. The copies, it just makes little difference. I find the genuine flows better too.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Some of the copys are identical to the originals but are slightly better quality, also you are not supposed to adjust them..
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

chrisrev2gt wrote:It's a genuine item and going home from work and all of a sudden I hear this whistle type noise coming from the turbo.
Opened the lid and revved the car and the noise came from the bov suspected diaphragm split.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?

also wanna say thanks to luke at pacific works for giving me his time and advice :thumleft:

I got a genuine Hks super sound bov here if you want it

(It's made out of metal ;) not like the new crap ones )
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Ill settle this argument

'they are both crap'
Draven

Post by Draven »

Standard Dump Valve all the way. :thumleft:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Our first SSQV split the diaphragm. My bro took it apart and patched it up and as far as I know, it's fine now. We've since bought a black copy version and that's also working fine. Sound with the silver insert is a bit annoying after a while but with some tweaking it can be improved.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”