recaro rails, what are my options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Infamous

recaro rails, what are my options?

Post by Infamous »

I'm looking at a set of recaros for my mr2 however they don't come with rails or brackets.
I know the recaro rails for mr2 are hard to come by and quite expensive so what other options or things have people done to fit their recaros.
Are there any universal sliders or brackets available that I could use to make my own, I can weld etc if required.
I was thinking about buying a set of recaro rails for another type of car then just modifying them to suit the mr2.
Thoughts/opinions/advice welcome.

Thanks
madbasshunter

Re: recaro rails, what are my options?

Post by madbasshunter »

Fimmo has a drivers side juran jdm subframe for sale (mr2 parts for sale and wanted on facebook)
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Yeah I saw that, I need 2 though! lol
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'd say you'll find it simpler to modify MR2 rails to fit the Recaros :thumleft:
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Do you not have to grind the rails off the mr2 seats though, rendering you old seats useless?
GT4Ever

Post by GT4Ever »

I fitted a set of Recaro's in my SW20. What I did is get a set of Recaro sliders (don't know if they are for some other car model, or the same for every car, at least they fit my seats). And then I drilled and grinded the parts of the original rails where the bolds go in (just bought some old destroyed second hand seats for this). I welded those on the Recaro rails, and that was pretty much it.
Only things to take care about when you do it this way is that the Recaro seats are 2 cm smaller at the base than the original MR2 seats. So you have to weld the parts from the orginal seats 1 cm off center to the Recaro rails.
And you have to come up with something to connect your seatbelt. Got my connected to the bolt that sticks out of the middleconsole at the moment. But it seems that is not a very good idea. Altough a MOT inspector told me it will be perfectly fine this way and possibly even safer than on the seat itself.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I don't know man, just assumed they'd have been bolted onto the seats! I sold mine years ago before fitting DC2 recaros by modifying some rails that came fitted to a pair of MR2 Cobra Monacos.

Sorry I can't be of any more use :P
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Contact JEFFD on here - he has all the experience with this one I think.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”