[Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox whine

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox whine

Post by joemacmr2 »

I have a rev2 LSD box which is making a metallic whining noise in 1 to 3rd gear ( prob 4th and 5th too but less noticeable due to exhaust drowning it out).

Clutch is slipping so have a new one here to put in and release bearing is on its way out as gearbox makes whirring noise in neutral, then goes away when engaging clutch.

All gear changes are fine except for reverse. Sometimes when selecting reverse I have to let out clutch and try again which works second time round. Is this clutch related?

Is my gearbox on its last legs with the whining in almost if not all gears? Could worn input shaft bearing cause this?

Sorry for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated
Johnr32

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gearbox whine

Post by Johnr32 »

The whining is very normal and I wouldnt really worry about it, maybe consider changing the gearbox oil if it hasnt been done recently.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Is this normal in all gears tho? Would new clutch release bearing and new gear oil quieten down?
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

So long as it doesnt sound like it has a straight cut gearbox then I wouldnt worry, these cars are getting old so its to be expected. Changing the oil may help.

Return to “Mechanical”