Apexi power fc question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

glen n

Apexi power fc question

Post by glen n »

When I bought my car it had an apexi power fc,commander and boost solenoid fitted,the car had previously had water meth installed and there are dyno printouts to around the 335bhp mark,not sure if this is at the wheels or or flywheel. Mods now are as follows,apexi filter,berk downpipe,blitz nurspec,greedy intercooler and spal fan. Running 1.25 bar of boost on current setting also has a higher setting of 1.2bar. I have changed the dizzy and rotor arm,plugs seem fine but coil needs swapping I think,there's a clicking noise from it which causes a dip in revs on idle.

My issue is overdueling and a recent lack of power, would I be best removing the power FC and running a standard ecu with ebc? That would free up some cash for other goodies. I can't ever see myself running huge power so unsure if I'll ever see a benefit from the apexi,it is good for keeping an eye on things though.
tubby_tony

Re: Apexi power fc question

Post by tubby_tony »

That will be 335bhp at the fly. If you have not altered the map recently then the PowerFC will not be the cause of the overfuelling. It just responds to the information the other sensors are sending it. The problem is elsewhere. Are you using the PowerFC O2 loop back feature to keep the AFR's at 14.7 when off boost. If so check your narrow band O2 sensor and change your coil if you are suspicious of the unit.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The stock Rev 3 ECU is far better than any after market one and can work with any mods you do to the engine untill you need bigger injectors.

Try a stock ECU out, only 3 plugs and 3 bolts to change them over
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

If he ditches the PowerFC he looses his boost controller.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I think the overfueling was a recent thing but not 100%

I had a new flexi put on the nur spec and fitted a berk downpipe as a replacement for my cracked aussie one,plus raised the boost from 0.9 to 1.25.
I now get loads of popping and banging on over run,which may be normal I'm not sure. I was up north on a drive with a load of other mr2s and was told my car was making the folk behind dizzy with the fuel fumes.

I had thought I could sell the apexi stuff and buy a good boost controller and have a fair bit left to spend on other goodies
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Should the time come I would be interested in the ECU, But for now the best advise would be to get the car on the rollers with someone good at APEXI's.

I dont know where you live but Ryan is good and uses a set of rollers off the M3 near Virginia water. (they belong to Charlie and he is also good). I am not sure on diagnoses repair, but a mapping session would be around £300.

Thor are also good I hear.

Or be safe with a std R3 ECU as long as the fuel pump & injectors are also std. If you do that use std boost too!

If you don't do either, the bores could be bore washed to death or worse, with expensive bills that go with it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”