Ridiculous Insurance and trying to get to 15 posts.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

merdeux

Ridiculous Insurance and trying to get to 15 posts.

Post by merdeux »

Hey guys just a quick one regarding insurance I probably don't wanna know the answers and it will anger me more but here goes.

I'm 31 with 6 years NCB No points or claims clean licence held for 10 years. Car garaged etc etc low mileage of 3k Per Annum allowance.

Price I am paying £688 with and that is with £1100 excess.

Is anyone over 30 paying more than that?

To put this into context I owned an MR2 10 years ago no NCB licence held for under a year and paid £700 ish.
dan mkii

Re: Ridiculous Insurance and trying to get to 15 posts.

Post by dan mkii »

Seems steep mine is as a second car on 3k a year with mods im 27 max no claims clean licsense and i pay £280 on classic policy!!
Blue2UK

Post by Blue2UK »

I think where you live makes a huge difference. When I moved 3 miles closer to town with my old car the insurance went up £40 per month!

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/ca ... -list.html
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Good bit of info that chart.

As said - from my dealings with brokers it's down to postcode.

London is a no-go! I'm in an N/A with light mods but currently have had quotes ranging from £450 to £800!
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

I know the area has a lot to do with but if I lived a mile down the road I would have a completely different postcode and then It would be below £400 without any NCB or Garage or limited mileage.

As for that chart, wel that has just made me laugh as my postcode doesn't even get an F rating instead its to be referred to undewriters.

Postcode is a big issue I agree but like some of the affiliates on here say we tailor make a policy on individual basis what is the point saying that if the over-riding factor is gonna be where I live.

Oh and once chaniging my name to the generic "John Smith" resulted in a quote £200 cheaper.

I think I'm goona refer these lot to the Financial Ombudsmen out of spite cos the may take £688 off me but they'll have to pay £500 to the ombudsmen for not being able to resolve my issue.

They've already missed the 8 week deadline for getting back to me.

Sorry Rant over Lets hope it shines a little later take the Roof panels off and enjoy the car and tell myself the insurance is worth it.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Is your car heavily modified?

Admiral and a few other places insisted that they couldn't quote me unless my car was garaged nightly. And yet, contrary to that I have read posts on here say that some insurers increase a premium stating 'there's more chance of damaging the car in the garage'!

I sometimes feel there really is no science to car insurance. After all in my case, how can they explain a sliding scale between competitors of £4-500!
danjama

Post by danjama »

merdeux wrote:Hey guys just a quick one regarding insurance I probably don't wanna know the answers and it will anger me more but here goes.

I'm 31 with 6 years NCB No points or claims clean licence held for 10 years. Car garaged etc etc low mileage of 3k Per Annum allowance.

Price I am paying £688 with and that is with £1100 excess.

Is anyone over 30 paying more than that?

To put this into context I owned an MR2 10 years ago no NCB licence held for under a year and paid £700 ish.

I'm 25 and pay £750 with 1 year ncb. This is with classicline on a 4k p/a policy.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Is this on non turbos or turbos?
No 2 :(
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

This doesn't help you but I'm 22 with 3 year ncb and I pay £703 for 6k miles and mods declared, excess is £500 in total
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Im 29 with 0 NCB, F/C with a £300 excess and im around £700 also.

Rev 3 N/A.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Interesting links thanks for posting.

See both my cars are insured in an 'E' area. G/F is in an 'A' :idea:

Original poster try RH Insurance in Brentwood, i find them pretty reasonable.

good luck

Rob
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

£700 for an n/a I'm paying that on my turbo
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

I think my lack of NCB is what makes it seem so high. Its considerably cheaper than other cars ive had with less power and what not.

I could get it for around £500 but that would mean starting another policy which i don't want to do as im trying to build up NCB and only have a few months left till end of the policy.
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

Thanks for the replies guys good to get an idea. I should have said UK car rev3 N/A is what I've got.

The only reason I bring the whole thing up is I bought the car for a bit if summer fun and nostalgia but the car is so good that I would love to keep it as a second meaning I would have to use my NCB on the daily and that having rang around classic insurance as well as normal quotes in excess of £1500. Sky insurance was over £2000 with the ncb.

Obviously at these prices I couldn`t justify keeping the mr2.

I remember a time when my older brother hit 30 a few years back and he never had to worry about insurance and he was looking at 3.0 twin turbos.

Surely one good thing about getting older was cheaper insurance.
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Have you tried some comparison sites??

Also with it being garaged, it makes the premium higher. For some reason, parked in the street usually gives cheaper quotes over garaged/parked in the driveway.
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

Tried everything some quotes with garage, driveway every combination you can think of the only thing that makes it come down to anywhere reasonable for my age anf histiry is if I change the postcode.

Guess I'll enjoy till the end of August and then just have to sell but any of those insurance companies/brokers who offer bespoke services are free to contact me in the meantime.
danjama

Post by danjama »

merdeux wrote:Tried everything some quotes with garage, driveway every combination you can think of the only thing that makes it come down to anywhere reasonable for my age anf histiry is if I change the postcode.

Guess I'll enjoy till the end of August and then just have to sell but any of those insurance companies/brokers who offer bespoke services are free to contact me in the meantime.

Have you tried classicline?
Blue2UK

Post by Blue2UK »

It's actually cheaper for me to drive my UK 92' mk2 n/a than it would be for some god awful 1.0ltr corsa. A regular policy for me would be in excess of 10k!

Lancaster Insurance fully comp classic policy
28 years old
Licence held for 6 years
0 NCB
Parked on drive in F zone
£2,800 fault claim in last 3 years declared
10k mileage limit (easily extended if needs be)
£875 for the year with £250 excess

It pretty much has to be a '92 UK n/a to qualify for a classic policy though.
RST

Post by RST »

I'm 34 and pay similar though mine's declared as on the street.

.........to be honest I waited years foir the 21, then 25, then 30 year barrier for cheap insurance and it never seems to happen. I think once you had one desirable car then you're marked out unless you have a Ford Fiesta. I made one claim a couple of years ago but to be honest it didn't make the dint I thought it would. It's a factor of buying a car unfortunately.
andy585

Post by andy585 »

33 0 ncb on my GTS pay £380 annualy limited mileage policy
have 8 years ncb on my other policy for my hdi c2 and pay £300 annualy
both on driveway

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”