Radiator woe.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rowey200

Radiator woe.....

Post by rowey200 »

Today I noticed that the water temperature needle in my Mk 2 Rev 5 was sitting higher than normal (it normally sits a rock solid 1/2 on the dial once upto temp).

I pulled over and discovered that the car was low on water and then when round the front discovered why, a stone has hit the rad and pierced a small hole (see pic). The leak is minimal (more of a weep), but I guess it could have been leaking for some time hence why the water level has dropped.

Having topped up the water level I drove a few miles back to my folks place and noticed that the temp needle shot up (over a few seconds) and then just as quickly dropped back down to the middle position and stayed there for the rest of the journey.

So, my questions are:

1) What would make the water temp needle give such erratic readings? Air in the system?
2) Is it worth seeing if radweld will fill the small hole in the radiator (based on the fact that I am currently on holiday and need to get the car back home).

Any thoughts / advice appreciated :thumleft:

Harold

Re: Radiator woe.....

Post by Harold »

I wouldn't be too keen on putting rad weld in the system, the temperature spike was probably due to air, how far do you have to drive the car to get it home?
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Use coolant,not water. :wink:
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

Harold wrote:I wouldn't be too keen on putting rad weld in the system, the temperature spike was probably due to air, how far do you have to drive the car to get it home?

Cheers for the reply. Need to get back to Bristol from Devon. I'll get the car in my old mans garage tomorrow and check that it is just a weep. Assuming it is I reckon I'll top the coolant up and take a steady trip back keeping an eye on things. Like you say, probs best to avoid radweld if I can. I have some time off later in the week so can hopefully get a new rad fitted then!
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

How much coolant does the system hold? I guess if I fill it up to the correct level in the expansion bottle that should do the trick?
planted1

Post by planted1 »

TBH its not as easy as just filling the expansion bottle,
underneath the front trunk is your filler valve,against the bulkhead.
should be a clear tube attached.
These cars are not easy to bleed air out of the system,and devon to Bristol
is around 80 or 90 miles,with a hole in the rad,and probably air in the system,without fixing the problem,what you put in is only going to come out again the hotter it gets and the further you go.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you could get the AA or whatever you have to take you and the car home :wink:
Dame

Post by Dame »

If the temperature shot up and went down again it might be due to air in the system. I had the same problem a few years ago, literally happened for the briefest moment so I fully bled the system and had no further problems.
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”