Rev2 onwards delimiter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gazrev1tubby

Rev2 onwards delimiter

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Hi guys, this is probably a real simple question, but because I have a rev1, I've never needed to know!

Hypothetically speaking

If I had a rev2 turbo, and fitted a set of UK clocks, would it remove the speed limiter?
humdigadi

Re: Rev2 onwards delimiter

Post by humdigadi »

I'm pretty sure it's no, you need to have something that tricks the ECU but then you run in to problems with the power steering staying on until something mad like 80mph.

If anything other than 110mph clocks on it would also read incorrectly.

From what I've read, a 'Stef Derner' type is best but he stop making them along time ago and they're pretty rare. I saw a clock set on here with an aftermarket turbo gauge on but it was £150. Too much for me, especially as my Rev 2 doesn't feel that safe when you get up to the limiter speed anyway!
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

What if you got a uk spec speedo drive for the gearbox? Would this not work?
humdigadi

Post by humdigadi »

Pushing the limits of my knowledge I'm afraid but I'm sure it wouldn't be any different as the Rev 2 speedo works from the ECU rather than anything mechanical, I suspect its input from the gearbox would be the same for UKDM and JDM but the ECU is different.

There is bound to be someone on here who knows more than me though.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

turbo and NA speedo drives are different.

oh and those clocks were mine
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

Have you tried buying a delimiter from eBay it's £120 but sure you could find a cheaper 1
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I don't have an electronic speedo, mines a rev1. Hence the hypothetical question.

I See loads of posts about fitting delimiters and such to later cars, but didn't know if there was a much simpler option - using UK clocks, albeit having a 160mph speedo instead of 180mph.
Dame

Post by Dame »

Swapping the electronic clock for a UK one will make absolutely no difference to the limiter i.e. it will still be in force. I know this from personal experience on a 1992 Tubby.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You just need a Rev2 on delimiter fitted on the speed input to the ECU, that way your steering will work just like stock
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Yeah, I know that an electronic delimiter works, I also know that stefs ones are the most popular. I just wondered if a simpler solution was available, and had simply been overlooked all these years :lol:

Thanks guys
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

gazrev1tubby wrote:Yeah, I know that an electronic delimiter works, I also know that stefs ones are the most popular. I just wondered if a simpler solution was available, and had simply been overlooked all these years :lol:

Thanks guys

The speed limit is build into the ECU on the JDM cars so only one way of doing the job
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
RST

Post by RST »

^^^from memory with a few different JDM Toyota models this is correct. You need something called a "clamping de-limiter".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, the speedo signal goes up to the clocks, it displays speed then there's an output to the ECU from the dashboard. To keep things like EHPS correct you need to "clamp" the PS speed at (whatever figure) so it keeps it up to theMR2 value, then switches it off, rather than just changing the while speed range by a factor of around 1.6 (or thereabouts) in which case it switches it off early.

I've had de-limiters fitted to GT4's and Aristo's before, but they don't have EHPS so the adjustment doesn't make any difference as it's mechanical PS.

Sticks in mind either the Stef Derner or the a'Pexi RSM will do the same an on SW20 but don't quote me. When I had my RSM I wasn't bothered about de-limiting (it has pnp or npn outputs), and I bought my rev 3 tubby with a Stef Derner already fitted so can't comment about that apart from they are supposed to be very rare.

Question is ...do you need a de-limiter or is it a metter of converting kph to mph?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”