FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jb007

FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

Post by jb007 »

- 1987 MR2 MK1b AW11 E reg in Silver (super silver II?)

- 51996 miles (will double check that tomorrow when I go back home to my parents house)

- Good history, lots of dealer stuff from early days. Maintained by myself and local mechanic friend for many years. All previous MOT certificates. Car is a CAT C sadly.

- MOT until 26th July 2013

- Tax until end September 2013 (will double check tomorrow)

- 90% standard bar the following mods:

* K&N filter kit

* SS full system Mongoose exhaust (was from a group buy on here)

* Koni yellow full suspension, adjustable inserts and lowering sport springs. These were fitted when the car was on about 40,000 miles approx, so have low miles on them. Also comes with the adjustment knobs.

* MK3 roadster alloys with nearly new Toyo Proxe T1R tyres on fitted in July 2012, these have done approx 800 miles, maybe less. The alloys are pretty much spotless after having been fully refurbed back in 2010.

* Quick shift kit and chrome gear knob.

* Colour coded wing mirrors.

- Comes with original air box, original tear drop alloys, original springs(on 40,000 miles), and everything else that I have, a tin of matching silver paint, anything I find i'm including with the car, if its wanted. My mother is sick of it all clogging up my loft and she has been kicking off with me, so it all has to go!

Car starts first time everytime and drives perfect. If i was keeping it there are two things I would be doing, a full service and a geo. In regards to the geo, I had a replacement ball joint fitted and this has put the geo out (steering wheel isn't straight) so this would need doing. The original settings I had put on were the TRD fast road setting if I recall correctly, supplied by somebody on this forum.

All electrics work perfectly, heater, windows, mirrors etc. Gearbox is great as you'd expect on these miles, certainly never any 5th gear pop out etc. Engine idles perfectly, very smooth throughout the rev range and pulls very well. Engine feels great, once again as you'd expect for the milage.

Car is located at my parents house in the Hope Valley, Peak District, Derbyshire. I am based both at home and in Manchester while I look for work. Its about an hour away so i will need slight notice for viewings to allow me time to get back and fund the cost of petrol etc.

Below are the pictures, please ignore the red callipers on the front brakes. They were some Celica calipers I was trying out, the OEM ones are now installed.

The pictures are a link and not pasted here, 32 pictures and over 70 meg.

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/MSC7X ... MK1%20AW11

If you have any specific picture requests please just ask.

Priced at £1500 ONO.

If you are interested please either PM me, reply to this thread or email me - [email protected]

You can contact me on: 07512712727

Thanks for reading, Jonathan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For all those who are interested in the story of this car and its history with myself for the last 7 years, please read on:

Hello everybody thanks for looking at my post. My names Jon and I have decided to finally sell my MR2 mk1. This was my second MR2 and the best. I have had this car since 2006 when it had just over 25k miles on it. I travelled all the way from Derbyshire to southend on sea to view this and return to buy. It was worth it for a silver one with low miles in top condition!

The car was not a disappointment, totally OEM, one owner who hardly used it but at least used it regularly. Full history, original brochure and even the Autocar magazine that reviewed it in 1984. The magazine has the original owner's name pencilled in the top right by the news agent. No rust at all it was perfect and looked after like they all should be.

Had many happy years enjoying a top example I was so lucky to get my hands on, I paid a premium for it but it was like a new car compared to all the others I saw. I kept it totally standard until 2009 when I upgraded to the mk3 roadster alloys, k&n filter, ss exhaust (mongoose group buy) and koni yellow suspension and sport springs.

These few mods made the car perfect for me, while still retaining the oem looks. Loved the mk3 alloys and the flexibility of tyre choice it gave me. I stuck with Eagle F1's for a long time and then moved onto Toyo T1-R tyres. The car never wanted for anything. It was my pride and joy. Anyone who saw underneath it always commented it to be in amazing condition and better than many cars with only a few years on them.

I always had a main car for daily grinds so the MR2 was kept for sunny days etc, also helped keep the mileage down which I was limited to anyway on my footman james insurance policy which also required me to have two cars!

The years roll by and its 2011 now, I'm on a roundabout and some idiot moves out of his lane and just brushes against me. He was using his phone and wasn't concentrating at all, nothing I could of done. Luckily he only brushed against me, but it was enough to cause panel damage and damage to my wheels. I had fancied a change in wheels and the week previous to this I had bought some team dynamics pro race 1.2's, they were pretty much brand new!

Initially the idiot denied being on his phone, despite the fact that with my own eyes i saw him on it while also fiddling with his stereo. He gave in and admitted he'd royally ballsed up and apologised. He admitted full liability and his insurance company sorted it all out. My car was, obviously, written off. I knew it was coming and I was gutted. Low miles and great condition doesn't seem to count at all and its though of as an old 1k car. They sent an engineer to view my car, all of 2 mins it took and his face told me it was written off and he was a really nice bloke and knew I was gutted. I got a cat c.

I was not happy but what could I do, i sold the wheels on, put the mk3 roaster alloys back on. Tried to clean up the panels and was grateful for no big dents, just pushed in a little and surface scruffs. I was also grateful for no mechanical damage as thats what counts.

So I bought it back, I laughed when the insurance asked me did I want a payout and to buy it back, YES i want to buy it back. I then learnt about the process of VIC tests and such and how to get it back on the road. Vic test passed no probs, MOT no probs flying colours, car taxed and insured, new Toyo Proxes T1Rs fitted and i'm back on the road again.

That experience ruined everything for me somewhat, it was summer 2011 I had a decent ish paying job and a friend was selling one of my dream cars, Honda S2000. So i bought that and put the MR2 back at my parents and under cover, feeling so guilty about it. The bond we make with cars almost like they are living, I felt genuinely guilty driving off in my new car. Time moves everything on though and things change and we grow.

Thats the story up to now. The MR2 is at home at my parents, still taxed, still mot'd and used every week or so for a brief trip to keep it running well. Then its back in the S2000. Its wasted frankly and I cant afford to keep it now, but I cant bring myself to sell it, I keep putting it off! Its 2013 now and after two years it has to go. I'm out of work also so times are very hard, so its clear what has to be done. It needs love and bringing back to its former glory, I hate seeing it now with scuffs and rust and not perfectly clean 24/7. GUILT!

So here is my ad to sell my MR2 MK1, thanks for reading all the waffle and hope at least some of it was an interesting read. I wrote this cause I still have and always will have a passion for these cars, from the first one I saw as a 5 year old to the first one i bought at 19 years old.

I have been 100% honest in both my ad and my history with this car and anybody who meets myself or the car will see this. I truly do not want to get rid of this car but I have no choice. Im 31 years old now and I have had this car since I was 24, letting go is going to be difficult but times move on. So someone please buy it and love it and give it the life it used to have. Jon
Last edited by jb007 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:59 am, edited 14 times in total.
Tommo-GTS

Re: FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

Post by Tommo-GTS »

Just my 2p, Lovely looking mk1, excellent write up explaining stuff, all the detail one would expect.

Then ending it with- Its a CAT C. I'd expand on what happened here otherwise people expect the worse...

Really like that car - expect you'll get loads of interest - GLWS
jb007

Re: FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

Post by jb007 »

Hi Tommo thanks for replying. The original advert was about 3 pages long with my story of owning the car and how the cat C came about but i trimmed it up to be just a basic advert. Maybe i could keep the advert essentials and put the story of the car below the advert? that might work.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Tommo-GTS wrote:Just my 2p, Lovely looking mk1, excellent write up explaining stuff, all the detail one would expect.

Then ending it with- Its a CAT C. I'd expand on what happened here otherwise people expect the worse...

Really like that car - expect you'll get loads of interest - GLWS

Now updated :thumleft:
almostaverage

Post by almostaverage »

how much do YOU want for the car?, I want to pay as little as possible.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

almostaverage wrote:how much do YOU want for the car?, I want to pay as little as possible.

Point taken and i'm looking on pistonheads now and autotrader etc trying to figure out how much this is worth. I'm seeing cars with 150K miles on them for 2/2.5k! When did MK1 MR2s go up in value??

I ask anyone who read this thread and has an opinion on price to speak up and give their opinion, it would be a great help and most appreciated.
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

For £2k I'd be expecting extremely good condition all round and lower mileage than 150k. I know the engines are good for it but I've seen very few that are that high, and mine is the second highest I've seen at 161k.

I don't think they've gone up in value at all, although there are some mint examples out there going for (and selling?) big bucks, but equally there are clean standard cars going for little more than £1k.

Insurance right-offs are something I don't know too much about, but my understanding is that once given a C or D, the car will never regain the lost value, and you can never have the category removed from HPI etc.

However, my input is only offered to give some consensus and there are many people here (and on mr2mk1club.com) who will give a much more experienced opinion.

Good luck with it!
jb007

Post by jb007 »

PeteP wrote:For £2k I'd be expecting extremely good condition all round and lower mileage than 150k. I know the engines are good for it but I've seen very few that are that high, and mine is the second highest I've seen at 161k.

I don't think they've gone up in value at all, although there are some mint examples out there going for (and selling?) big bucks, but equally there are clean standard cars going for little more than £1k.

Insurance right-offs are something I don't know too much about, but my understanding is that once given a C or D, the car will never regain the lost value, and you can never have the category removed from HPI etc.

However, my input is only offered to give some consensus and there are many people here (and on mr2mk1club.com) who will give a much more experienced opinion.

Good luck with it!

Thank you for taking the time to reply PeteP. I read a cat c take 50% off the value of a car, others say its more like 30/40%. Of course book price all these mr2s are worth buttons, but the world doesn't work like that, things are only worth what people are prepared to pay.

I was originally thinking around 2.5k for my car but perhaps i've been a little ambitious there.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You need to post up a price!

Cheers. :)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Post updated with my phone number and price. Thanks :thumleft:
almostaverage

Post by almostaverage »

ill give you a grand for it. shoot me !, its a more than fair offer for the history of the car. as im sure to expect the usual comments of " you have to be joking" , please feel free to make a better and more compelling offer.
it is a serious offer, and im only about 20 mins from Sheffield, so could view when you are in that locality.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

almostaverage wrote:ill give you a grand for it. shoot me !, its a more than fair offer for the history of the car. as im sure to expect the usual comments of " you have to be joking" , please feel free to make a better and more compelling offer.
it is a serious offer, and im only about 20 mins from Sheffield, so could view when you are in that locality.

Thanks for the offer.

I would feel as if I was giving it away. I might possibly entertain the price if I kept the roadster wheels and put on the old teardrops.

Getting the car back on the road cost me £500 easily in VIC/mot/tax/tyres etc etc.

Ill be bringing it to manchester on monday and can sell it on ebay from there, lets hope someone fancies a reliable low miles sports car for some summer fun.
almostaverage

Post by almostaverage »

well offer stands, I can collect with cash today or tomorrow , but that is as far as my interest goes. id buy the car as it is ,with the wheels shown, and may offer a little extra for the spare wheels once ive seen the condition.
you may get more on the bay , but I doubt that also, and you would have to pay 10% plus the listing fee back to ebay anyway.
either waygood luck with your sale.
donna

Post by donna »

Hi that is a stunning looking mk1, the fact it's been a catc would not put me off at all.

It's different when the car is new and it's too much damage to be economical to repair but a cat c on an old car which the insurance value at peanuts could be for as little as a damaged bumper due to buying new parts from Toyota to repair.

I'm tempted to offer for the car even though I have no space for it, it rare in the colour too :thumleft:
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

donna wrote:Hi that is a stunning looking mk1, the fact it's been a catc would not put me off at all.

It's different when the car is new and it's too much damage to be economical to repair but a cat c on an old car which the insurance value at peanuts could be for as little as a damaged bumper due to buying new parts from Toyota to repair.

I'm tempted to offer for the car even though I have no space for it, it rare in the colour too :thumleft:

Totally agree - damage to car was entirely superficial - wouldn't put me off. It's just how keen he is to sell, at the end of the day - he's already had a payout from the insurance, ok bought it back and spent £500, it does sound cheap with those miles... Tempted also... I'm surprised it hasn't gone to be honest
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Donna and Tommo-GTS, thank you both for the kind words its given me a little more faith. This situation has been bringing me down the last few days. If you met me and spoke with me you would see that cars arent just transport, they are my entire life.

I dont spend any money on going out, dont drink, smoke, drugs, dont buy electricals, dont buy clothes. I just drive and enjoy my cars, and this MR2 was my life. My old mechanic and MOT tester was always amazed how tidy and straight it was underneath, commenting it was better than some 3 year old cars he sees. I cherished this car and its heart breaking what happened 2 years ago and its down fall since then.

I have looked after this car so much and I'm a mechanically sympathetic driver to the point none of my cars has never needed money spending on them apart from maintenance and my own enjoyment (koni yellows, exhaust, filter etc). When you cherish something and clean it all the time and generally love it as if it was your child and then suddenly your told its a dog and worth basically nothing, its horrid.

I did pay quite a high price for this car when I bought it, but it was perfectly looked after and the original owner had passed away and this car was his most cherished item which he saved up for many years to buy. It was horrible when the insurer said "at a toyota garage this is a 2/3k repair job" which is crazy. I even asked an independent who said he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole just too much hassle. I know it sounds dramatic but it was like someone insulting your child and saying "no hes a right off, get rid", this car was like my child. I took a payout of £1,000 I don't mind telling you all, I paid £100 to get the car back. Left me with £900 which was frankly an insult, they wouldn't budge on price despite the obvious condition and low miles (i sent them pictures pre accident).

If I get a job soon then I might keep the car, give it a good service and some TLC and keep it for the track. Still think turning it into a track car with an engine and gearbox on 50k odd is a mistake.

Anyway sorry to waffle on, i'm just passionate about this, its not just a car to me its been a huge part of my life for so long :thumleft:
Last edited by jb007 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almostaverage

Post by almostaverage »

look , you seem like a really nice guy, so if you genuinely are feeling aggrieved that you have only been offered a grand for the car , my apologies. I did however warn you about the usual platitudes that tend worm their way into these threads. the "im temped, if only I had, if it was my car", all said and done they only confuse the issue , and certainly don't put food on the table.
you were paid out a grand, and unless im missing something , the car has done more miles and has more rust on it now than it did then?. no matter which way you look at it , the car will never be anything other than a cat c, and for the folks that don't think that is not much of an issue , try putting another claim in against a write off car and see what you get offered. if I am missing something , and the car doesn't need anything spending on it , and therefore worth top market value, then please put me straight.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

almostaverage wrote:look , you seem like a really nice guy, so if you genuinely are feeling aggrieved that you have only been offered a grand for the car , my apologies. I did however warn you about the usual platitudes that tend worm their way into these threads. the "im temped, if only I had, if it was my car", all said and done they only confuse the issue , and certainly don't put food on the table.
you were paid out a grand, and unless im missing something , the car has done more miles and has more rust on it now than it did then?. no matter which way you look at it , the car will never be anything other than a cat c, and for the folks that don't think that is not much of an issue , try putting another claim in against a write off car and see what you get offered. if I am missing something , and the car doesn't need anything spending on it , and therefore worth top market value, then please put me straight.

Business is business and my feelings are totally seperate, but i appreciate where your coming from :thumleft:

I dont have the MOT slips to hand right now but I had an MOT at the time so I can tell you how many miles I have done since, less than 2k for sure.

I would also say no it doesn't NEED any work doing, thats down to the discretion of the new owner. Of course if you want it perfect and back to how it was, yes it would need some panels sorting out and the rust doing before it takes over. But as it is its perfectly useable etc.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

hi mate ,have you got any pictures of what damage there was to the car or at least details of what was replaced ,my mate has porsche 911 cat c and he has the pics of all the work that was done to repair it ,its an old car ,but was written off at a stage that it was ripe for restoration and being a rare 911 it was very cheap ,but what backs his up is all the pictures he took of the damage which was really minor and then the full restoration he did ,its still a cat c , but to be honest that wouldnt bother anyone because the car is rare and he has over a 1000 pics of the restoration he did ,the accident damage was nothing compared to the rust damage lol
jb007

Post by jb007 »

chrismanchr wrote:hi mate ,have you got any pictures of what damage there was to the car or at least details of what was replaced ,my mate has porsche 911 cat c and he has the pics of all the work that was done to repair it ,its an old car ,but was written off at a stage that it was ripe for restoration and being a rare 911 it was very cheap ,but what backs his up is all the pictures he took of the damage which was really minor and then the full restoration he did ,its still a cat c , but to be honest that wouldnt bother anyone because the car is rare and he has over a 1000 pics of the restoration he did ,the accident damage was nothing compared to the rust damage lol

There has been no damage repaired, the bodywork is how you see it - creased and scuffed down the nearside.

Return to “MR2s for Sale”