Respray

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

Respray

Post by VGB »

Hello,
I'm considering getting the 2 back on the road after it being off road for two years. The paint Work is looking a little sad on close inspection. The rear spoiler is faded and has a crack in it. There is some crazing on the nose cone. Both doors have small amounts of rust on the bottom seam.
Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it is likely to cost to get the issues sorted and a blow over of the whole car? It is red and I would be happy to keep it red or get it back to red rather than the pink spoiler!
I appreciate that getting quotes is the best bet and seeing Work body shops have done. At the moment I'm trying to gage how much it will cost to get the car through an mot and the body Work sorted. Then I'll know if I should invest the money in to it or not.
Any recommended garages in the Norfolk, SUffolk,Cambridge boarder area would be appreciated too.
Cheers.
craig

Re: Respray

Post by craig »

Hey mate, you should set aside approx £2K for a full respray.
cosmos

Respray

Post by cosmos »

There's resprays and there's RESPRAYS.
£2000 min to £3000......plus VAT.
Extra's can be costly like mid side strips, door/window weather seals, windscreen surround.
Shop around, ask around, today's water based paints err? seem to be brittle/hard and chip easy.
cosmos

Respray

Post by cosmos »

There's resprays and there's RESPRAYS.
£2000 min to £3000......plus VAT.
Extra's can be costly like mid side strips, door/window weather seals, windscreen surround.
Shop around, ask around, today's water based paints err? seem to be brittle/hard and chip easy.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Ouch 3k + vat sounds high, guess I'm seriously out of touch. :(
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Mine cost just under 2k all in for a front end respiratory but the work is second to none.

Intending to save up in the future for a rear end respray to finish the job off

A decent job is costly but worth it in the long run :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
andy585

Post by andy585 »

What about plasti dip not sure if it lasts a long time
VGB

Post by VGB »

Plasti dip? Not heard of it, is it like a form of wrap?
andy585

Post by andy585 »

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

For a blow over, I'd typically charge around £1100.

For a colour change, where door/bonnet/boot shuts would need doing, it'd be more like £1500 - £2000 depending on colour
VGB

Post by VGB »

Plasti dip seems interesting, anyone had it done or know of anyone who has? How well it lasts or looks?
Gaz, cheers for input, you're not too far away, do you have a website with examples of your Work?
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

Plastidip isn't a long-term fix to your paintwork problems. Looks handy for a quick colour change but if you've got rust that needs treated, you've got rust that needs treated.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Maybe because it's where I live but a front end respray of my completely peppered RS6, and a repair and respray of the rear bumper all in came to £600.

I'd expect to pay less than £1500 for a full respray of my MR2.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Lee, where did you get that work done? I could do with getting my 2' resprayed.

Cheers,
Michael.
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Hey Michael, It was Simons accident repair centre in Irvine.

They have so far done 3 of my cars in the last year for a decent price. Can't fault them and they will be doing the whole of the MR2 when I get the money/inclination :)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yes I appreciate the doors will need sorting one way or another. However if I can get the 2 plasti dip in white for 500 then could see how it looks as had thought about a colour change and certainly can't afford 3000! May at some point look for a full on back to bare metal respray but guess I'd be looking at mega bucks.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Don't go for a cheap respray. This car had one (it's what gave me Super-Red-tinted-glasses, seeing one that wasn't bright pink), and although it's looking far better now, it's taken a lot of elbow grease on my part to get looking nice.

A cheap respray with mouldings etc will look great for about 6-8 months and then where paint hasn't reached on panels beneath mouldings (along the rear window moulding and above the doors, especially), the paint will start to peel back.

I've sorted / am currently sorting all of this on mine and it now is looking great, but if you are serious about doing it, do it properly. That or sell the car to someone who is looking for a track / banger rally car and put the cash saved to something interesting. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”