Cheap eBay Coilovers.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Retro_Boy_G

Cheap eBay Coilovers.

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

I thought there would have been more on these in here but even using the search I can't seem to find a thread..

Has anyone purchased a set of these? I'm quite interested to hear what you have to say about them. I know a lot of these cheaper coilovers get a bit of stick but I used to run Raceland coilovers on my MX5 and I couldn't say a bad word about them, and they were half that price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coilover-Toyo ... 3a7b4742f2
Race Idiot

Re: Cheap eBay Coilovers.

Post by Race Idiot »

#-o
Buy them, ask for a shock dyno. Spring rates, warranty, servicing etc

Read this
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
and this
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Nic

Post by Nic »

Do a google search they don't get very good reviews.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

anyone who thinks the idea of buying coilovers for that much money really should get them.

they will ride like cr4p

they will knock within a few 1000 miles - or sooner

they will leak

they will corrode so you cannot them adjust them

and you will need to buy another set after a year - or sooner

i have no actual experience with them - but everything ive ever read about cheap coilovers is bad news - do yourself a favour and spend the money on a set of decent brand used coilovers if you must buy coilovers or a decent set of used fixed shocks and lowering springs
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Just like the more expensive teins then!! :mrgreen:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

haha yeah
Rob

Post by Rob »

I had cheap coilovers on my E36 coupe - £225 delivered.

Initial quality was ok

Ride was good

Handling was 100x better than the tired original shocks / springs

However - the rear units broke after a week - got free replacement with the 2 year no quibble warranty.

One front unit failed after a year and then I sold the car before I had to buy new suspension again!

They worked well for a relatively short time.
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

I had jic magic coils in my tubby the retail around £1900 and tbh they were terrible ride height wouldn't go low enough they were stupidly hard etc just horrible to live with now on a different car I ran Jamex coil overs at £180 and couldn't say a bad word about them tbh tho it's down to what you really want I mean if all your bothered about is lows I'd buy the cheap ones!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

coilovers of course are designed for the track, so are not expected to be a decent ride, my opinion is cheap ones are built for the sole purpose of being able to drop the car, which anyone who knows anything isnt the only thing that makes a car handle well, you can of course wind them too low so they dont have anough damper travel to actually work properly, i had this issue on my Teins and the people who set the car up actually ended up raising the ride height.

depends if you want a 'go' car or a 'show' car
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

jasongtr wrote:coilovers of course are designed for the track, so are not expected to be a decent ride, my opinion is cheap ones are built for the sole purpose of being able to drop the car, which anyone who knows anything isnt the only thing that makes a car handle well, you can of course wind them too low so they dont have anough damper travel to actually work properly, i had this issue on my Teins and the people who set the car up actually ended up raising the ride height.

Very well put. :thumleft:

ETA

It always amuses me seeing all the "performance" cars parked outside our local KFC on a Friday night. Lowered so much their exhausts drag on the speed humps, and Tonka Toy wheels and tyres. Apparantly, the word on the street it's cool.... :?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

very cool 8)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
jasongtr wrote:coilovers of course are designed for the track, so are not expected to be a decent ride, my opinion is cheap ones are built for the sole purpose of being able to drop the car, which anyone who knows anything isnt the only thing that makes a car handle well, you can of course wind them too low so they dont have anough damper travel to actually work properly, i had this issue on my Teins and the people who set the car up actually ended up raising the ride height.

Very well put. :thumleft:

ETA

It always amuses me seeing all the "performance" cars parked outside our local KFC on a Friday night. Lowered so much their exhausts drag on the speed humps, and Tonka Toy wheels and tyres. Apparantly, the word on the street it's cool.... :?

Now we know what you have for dinner on a Friday night
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I've always had the cheap coilovers in all my cars. Haven't ever had any problems!

Except on my Mk3 Golf which came to me with FK coils, they bust after about a month. Stuck cheapies in and they lasted ages. I have never tracked my cars, so never needed expensive coils.

Also did a lot of quite spirited driving on them with great results (i.e never ended up backwards in a hedge)

I've bought Tein's for my MR2, simply because they were cheaper than those :P
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

That guy is a drop shipper. You buy them and the next day he tells you there has been an error and he doesn't have them in stock and needs 2-3 weeks to order them.

How do i know? I bought some then he fed me this story and in the end he admited he didnt carry any stock. I cancelled the order, reported him to Ebay who then took down his items and i bought some D2's instead.
synXero

Post by synXero »

alanmr2turbo wrote:That guy is a drop shipper. You buy them and the next day he tells you there has been an error and he doesn't have them in stock and needs 2-3 weeks to order them.

How do i know? I bought some then he fed me this story and in the end he admited he didnt carry any stock. I cancelled the order, reported him to Ebay who then took down his items and i bought some D2's instead.

Are D2s coilies as good as their brakes reputedly are? :lol:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

D2's are mega hard, even on their softest setting lol!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

D2's aint hard. I have them on the half way setting and not bad at all.

I've had them fitted a year now and no problems with them.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I still say BC Racing ones are the best ones.

I've had Teins HA - hardest even on the softest. Made me even want to stop driving my car they were that uncomfortable.

Yellow billies on TRD lowered springs - came with the car very good, slightly harsh ride when soaking up bumps.

BC racing - the main thing about these are how good they are at soaking up the bump on crappy roads. Hard setting is how you would expect.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I know that I'll be parting with my Teins at the end of this year (After Germany, where the roads and the Nordschleife make them wonderful) for reason of hardness. As stated above, they're a seriously unforgiving ride and on the b-roads around here lead to the MR2 trying to snap the wheel from me as it crashes over divots.

Yellow Bilsteins at most for a daily car I'd say. I'm half tempted by a set of bog standard new dampers from GTS Chris as they seem quite reasonable - worried this might be too far in the other direction though....
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”