What spark plugs and leads?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

What spark plugs and leads?

Post by Gullzter »

going to order some new spark plugs, leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap...

just wondering what some preferences are for these parts, seen some ngk iridium spark plugs that look good, any thoughts?

also read a few things about different leads and cant seem to find much about them on imoc, input on this appreciated als.

MR2 Rich

Re: What spark plugs and leads?

Post by MR2 Rich »

Genuine Toyota for everything except the plugs and I would just go for NGK copper core ones, cheaper than iridium but do the same job you just have to replace them more frequently.
No 2 :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

As above :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Thanks, i thought toyota on rotor arm and dizzy cap but it was leads i wasnt sure about as i had read somewhere that it is better to use thicker aftermarket ones which was gibrish to me :roll:

Cheers again guys
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gullzter wrote:Thanks, i thought toyota on rotor arm and dizzy cap but it was leads i wasnt sure about as i had read somewhere that it is better to use thicker aftermarket ones which was gibrish to me :roll:

Cheers again guys

Don't go aftermarket for leads. I had Magnecors fitted for a while, they were tosh. OE items are the way forward. As for plugs, copper core NGK BKR7E seem to be the plug of choice.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I have a set of used good condition genuine Toyota HT leads for sale if interested.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170940
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Iridium are by far a better plug, I would use them every time over the copper core ones.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

bobhatton wrote:Iridium are by far a better plug, I would use them every time over the copper core ones.

What did u find better about the iridium ones? Id like to get a decent set especially if its only costing a few pounds more for better product.

Thanks
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Nic wrote:I have a set of used good condition genuine Toyota HT leads for sale if interested.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170940

Thanks dude but for the price it costs for new ones im just going for new as i dont really know if theres anything wrong with mines or not, only reason im changing is ive just bought the car. Thanks anyway
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Gullzter wrote:
bobhatton wrote:Iridium are by far a better plug, I would use them every time over the copper core ones.

What did u find better about the iridium ones? Id like to get a decent set especially if its only costing a few pounds more for better product.

Thanks

It’s the very small centre electrode that is the important part, you get a much bigger and stronger spark because of that. Have been running them for a number of years, even with very cold fuel and never a problem
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

bobhatton wrote:
Gullzter wrote:

Thanks

It’s the very small centre electrode that is the important part, you get a much bigger and stronger spark because of that. Have been running them for a number of years, even with very cold fuel and never a problem

Cheers :thumleft:
sean1881

Post by sean1881 »

Gullzter wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
Gullzter wrote:

Thanks

Cheers :thumleft:

as the poster says, the smaller iridium tip creates a brighter spark, burning the fuel more efficiently, creating more power or better fuel economy, depending how you drive. I've used them for years without a single problem. There is a noticeable increase in responsiveness.
thicker aftermarket leads will feed more power to the plugs. Don't be put off by people claiming magnacor leads are crap, the extra 3mm core gives even more throttle response. The holes around the fitting for the cap can get clogged with oil/dirt & pop off but that's not a problem if you're keeping the car tidy. The only other issue I've heard with them turned out to be the wrong leads (for an earlier model). Once again, I've used these for years without a problem.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Never seen a difference on a dyno between copper and iridium plugs. Iridium plugs will last longer.
sean1881

Post by sean1881 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Never seen a difference on a dyno between copper and iridium plugs. Iridium plugs will last longer.

really?
all i can say with absolute certainty is what I've found through my own experience, I've never had the car dynoed, either before or after upgrading plugs & leads, but from the increased response I'd have expected a little extra.
I'll stick a link up when i get home & you can judge for yourself
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi, where is this link?

Cheers, Michael.
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I dont know why everyone swears by the toyota leads, i've always had problems with water ingress with them causing the car to hesitate after heavy rain.

My old car I went through a couple of oem sets and always had the hesitation problem. My current car has a set of utra leads and this never happens. Although if I cant get another set NGK makes a set of leads for the 3sgte.

Also i'd avoid magnecore mainly because i've seen them fall to bits at the king lead area and the plug part, obviously thats the price you pay for all the mad sick extra power they give.

The last set of plugs I bought were the iridium mainly because they were cheaper than the equivalent grade platinum plug. Also I prefer the longer service intervals due to having a 205CC ontop!
Harold

Post by Harold »

I use iridium plugs as they last lots longer and saves me having to remove the traction control butterfly valve so often.
RST

Post by RST »

I've just ordered iridium plugs -I always use NGK. I've had 3 sets of Magnecors without fault. When do they apparently start falling apart? They've never give me any grief so far. Or am I one of the lucky ones?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ask luke @ pacific works about magnecores im pretty sure hes seen a fair few that have fallen apart.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

My car had 5/6 year old magnecor leads on and when I went to change the spark plugs the lead came off and left the bit attached to the spark plug so I wouldn't use them. :thumleft:
No 2 :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”