Rear arch repair

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

Rear arch repair

Post by MR2Kyle »

:roll: well surprise surprise its time to repair the arches #-o I was wondering if there were any step by step guides to this as i have started the work myself already but i had my boss come up to me and say "just weld the replacement arch on top of the original one". Now this sounds a bit off to me as it would just mean that you would think the arch was fine but really underneath its totally rotten....might as well do the job properly as i will have to get the car totally resprayed after, that will be rather expensive to say the least so i want to delay the rust for as long as possible....anyhow enough of my babbling 8-[ Please enlighten me if you could.
Thanks in advance.
ian08

Re: Rear arch repair

Post by ian08 »

your boss is encouraging you to bodge it...... cut out all the rot and do it properly otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

ian08 wrote:your boss is encouraging you to bodge it...... cut out all the rot and do it properly otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

Thought that :mad:
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

If the rot has spread out, alfaparts makes complete rear panels. Got a pair in the basement that i`m (still) planning on fitting and they do look good.
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

its not crazy bad but it is better to nip it at the bud....if i could put up a photo i would...its about....100mm x 50mm....its just round the edge of the arch....
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

Stick the panel over the existing one? I'm no panel beater, but that sounds worse than bodging. I can't imagine anybody doing that.
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

well i shall be cutting the arch out anyhow as i have the replacement panels i might as well use them....and hopefully that will stop the rust for a good while :mrgreen:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Make sure you remove all the rust from the outer and inner arch or it'll come back through again

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”