[Mk2] [NA] Turbo conversion, loom?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

racingrepairs

[Mk2] [NA] Turbo conversion, loom?

Post by racingrepairs »

I am putting a rev1 turbo engine in a rev3 uk. I understand that I need to use the engine bay loom! I also understand that i must change the loom to the front foot-well however I don't know which one or how.
Can someone please advise?
Thanks in advance
Fozzy

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Turbo conversion, loom?

Post by Fozzy »

The is no need to change the loom to footwell if your handy with a bit of wiring and splicing. I did mine as a rev 3 jdm turbo to rev 3 uk n/a, not too many wire to sort, but your will be different to mine. I must say I had a fair bit of help over the phone from Paul Woods (wood sport) top bloke and very helpful, he knew which wires to look for off the top of his head
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

Well the car is completely stripped so a loom change wouldn't take long at all. The problem is that if it's the passenger side loom then it isn't a case of swapping a couple if plugs about in the foot well. The loom carries on into the frunk!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

The loom terminates in the passenger footwell, a couple of white multiplugs, and the main power cables, big white ones, bolt onto a distribution block
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

A couple of things I can think of though, bearing in mind I don't know the rev 1 wiring too well.

Rev 1 will be cable driven speedo, rev 3 uk will be electronic. I guess you will need the speed sensor from a rev 3 gearbox.

The fuel pump feed and speed sensor wires on the rev 3 uk runs up the centre console, whereas on the turbo loom its down the passenger footwell, so there will be some wires to be sorted here

I'm sure there will be some other wires that will need repining or splicing
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

Hate electrical stuff #-o
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I would leave the body loom as it is and do all the changes in the boot and fusebox, if you change the body loom you will have to do the changes in the passenger footwell.
Peter @ Sbits helped me over the phone and email he really knows his stuff and has all the wiring diagrams, he talked me out of changing the body loom.
Yes you will need a rev3 turbo gearbox sender but you find it easy to sell the rev1 turbo sender.
I think you will need the turbo fuel pump and it is easier to drop the tank when the engine is out :)
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

Tank dropped, took half hour :thumleft:

Electric sender on the na gear box should do? That is if It's the same size ](*,)

I cut the na loom so I didn't have to remove intake plenum components to free it
:?

Guess I will be needing the mr2 electrical god Peter soon :oops:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

No na and turbo senders are different, turbo goes in back of box http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 6182,d.d2k
You wont need the na loom as you will plug the turbo loom into the fuse box and into the boot then move a few wires :)
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

Right which wires do i move please.... I clearly can't swap the loom to the foot well as my loom appears to be one complete unit.

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

The kick well loom is not one piece, if you look carefully, you'll see a small plastic cover that once flicked up, reveals two 10mm nuts that clamp the main power wire together.

The problem you're going to have, is that a UK dash loom, won't have the correct wires in place for the correct turbo sensors. You won't have a 'pim' wire for a start. Also, the engine warning lights are in a different position on turbo clocks to na, so to use turbo clocks, you'll need to change the dash loom - or at least be willing to spend a lot of time with a soldering iron !

It would be far easier, if you've already got the car stripped, to replace all the wiring looms for those from a rev1 turbo. Otherwise, I really can't see an easy solution. You could of course retain the UK clocks, but I don't know how many wires you'll have to switch around, for the correct warning lights to illuminate properly - I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people in here that can help with that.

If you retain the na chassis loom (boot to kick well), then the wiring changes to get it running, will be on the 22pin plug. Also, you'll have to swap some wires around in the engine bay fuse box - namely the circuit open relay (FC) and the engine bay fan.

The easiest way to figure out the wiring changes, is to search for the ecu pin outs relevant to your conversion, ie rev3 na UK, and rev1 turbo JDM, and visually compare them to see the differences. The engine bay looms two ecu plugs shouldn't need modifying from memory.

Return to “Electrical”