bov valve fix?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mrfil13

bov valve fix?

Post by mrfil13 »

Stupidly snapped the end off the little valve that connects to the bov. Ive put a wanted up but is there away to stick it back on?

Doh

Thanks
Phil
Poker Face

Re: bov valve fix?

Post by Poker Face »

Hi,
Mine snapped the other month and I fixed mine with super glue as that was all I had when I realised the car was fluttering when I made the mistake of putting an in line filter on instead.
Super glue is probably a bit too brittle if I'm honest and would try a two part resin and let it set over the valve and vac pipe. Just make sure you don't block it as you glue it.
Failing that someone has bov and valve complete for £35 on parts forsale. Brand new they are a bit more than that.
I posted something at the beginning of March and got some useful replies inc part number.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Thanks for the response. I ended up putting and extra bit of silicone tube over the rubber tube, the plastic bit had snapped inside. Used a two part epoxy to glue it back, not covering the hole was a worry but I kept blowing through it to check. The idea of the silicone sleeve was to give a bit more surface area to bond with. Hopefully it will hold.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Can't you just go and buy a new one?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

50p vs £50 if you can seal it and it works a little diy repair is well worth it. £49 pounds from a previous thread.
Jim
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Needed fix as it was a Sunday but might as well see how it holds up. They are so damn brittle.
Baker

Post by Baker »

If this is the one way plastic valve you're all talking about, they are £ 45 from Toyota. However, they're only just that, a one way valve, and can be had for a few pounds from ebay and they work fine.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

They're not a one way valve Carl, they're actually a two way valve, but the air travels more freely one way than the other. The valve is to balance out the pressure differential in the bypass valve (bov) to keep its operation as smooth as possible.

Also, if your stock bov is 'honking' it means that buts not sealing properly, and the noise is caused by air escaping around the seal

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”