Why oh why am i still getting cold start issues?!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

Why oh why am i still getting cold start issues?!

Post by RyanRs »

If i have not started the car for a couple of weeks it becomes a right mission to get the thing back alive! its like i have to bring it back from the dead first then start it up! and the longer its been sitting without being started, the worse it is.

For those of you who are not familiar with my car here's a quick spec lowdown..

Rev3
1200cc inj's on top feed, external 044 pump, deadhead rail setup
stock head bar few polishings,valve springs etc
2.14L sleeved stroker bottom end
BMIC, side feed intake, q45 TB.
No lambda -think this is closed loop? cannot remember which way around it.
Linkplus g3 XLEM
560 bhp ish.

trying to start it yesterday after 6weeks sitting. fuel pump primes, pressure 40psi ish. battery fully charged and power steering ecu disconnected for better cranking. Cranking for about 20 seconds, not even a cough!

Pulled the plugs, all are black and drenched in fuel with the acception of no1 which is black and dry. cleaned all plugs, dried bores, cranked engine with plugs out, refitted plugs, checked spark and all good. now 2nd attempt. Engine fires straight away but on 2 (intermittent 3) cyls. This is similar to what happens when the car has sat for about a week. 5 attempts later with added throttle and it would not maintain any idle without throttle it would just die completely.

So..

Plugs out yet again! two are warm, no1 cold , no4 iirc not as warm as 2&3. all plugs tips are coked up again, so i cleaned them up yet again, dried the cylinders (lit splint down the plug holes). plugs back in, turn her over (this time with fuel pump off) and bam! fires straight up all cylinders and runs exactly as its supposed to. Quick flick of the fuel pump switch and it continues running without issue. one thing that did happen however and happens pretty much every time i start the car from cold (24 hours off or more), it cuts out after about 10 sec if i don't hold a 2k high idle on the pedal,but it does fire straight up again after and idle fine from then on.

This is getting really annoying now, took me an hour to get the thing running yesterday and i absolutely stank of fuel after, had to have a shower! it always reaks of fuel when i first start it.

My theories are..
possible Injectors sticking when cold? hence dry no#1 plug?
possible too much cold start enrichment -would explain why i need to give it throttle if i stand any chance of it firing up?! -also blacking the plugs and causing fuel smell. However, it may not be too much enrichment, may be fuel pooling from trying to fire a stone cold engine with 1200's , causing a missfire. once two cycles of missfire have passed i could imagine there to be quite a lot of unburnt fuel in the cylinders giving a very very rich burn when it does fire - also causing black plugs and fuel smell.

I am on the verge of getting rid of the car now because of these problems. 7 years of ownership and 6 years building the project and i still cant just get in it and use it! GRR!

HELP!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Why oh why am i still getting cold start issues?!

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sounds to me as though you need your cold start settings sorting out.

Have you left your car with your mapper so he can work on it when the engine is cold?
RyanRs

Re: Why oh why am i still getting cold start issues?!

Post by RyanRs »

No, i have not tbh. The most i have done is leave it sit outside SRR for about 7 hours whilst waiting for it to be tuned. Ry did do the cold start then however i guess 7 hours is not long enough.

What i don't get though is why does it get harder to start the longer it has been sitting?! it took an hour to start yesterday after about 6 weeks of sitting, but i guarantee that if i went out to start it now it would crank about 6 ~ 7 times then fire right up. It doesn't make sense!

Btw, i only seemed to get these problems ever since changing from the stock fuel system to the new system. I remember back on my old hybrid turbo, i hit 95% duty on the 540's at something like 375hp and it ran smoothly. Upgraded the entire fuel system, external 044, pickup tubes in the tank (no pump), an-8 supply,-6 return lines, Automotive A1000 reg, ATS TFFR and 1200cc bosh inj's. Got to 418 bhp on same turbo @ 60% duty? but then the next morning all the cold start issues started!

Back then it was really really bad, everytime you turned it off for 5 minutes it would struggle to start and black the plugs. I discovered what looks like 'belly button fluf' in the top feeds of the injectors so cleared all that out,it didn't help much. then discovered 8 of my valves had Zero lash! some valves was permanently open! sorted this and things improved. then the 7hour cooldown at SRR and re-configure of cold start improved things drastically. Now if i use it often, i get a good too 'ok' start -sometimes a little lumpy until its got some heat, i can deal with that but i cant deal with what happened yesterday every other flippin week!

I have an aem wideband in the car, what AFR should i see while cranking?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”