is boost gauge right or is something wrong?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaffacake

is boost gauge right or is something wrong?

Post by Jaffacake »

Basicly i fitted an aftermarket mechanical boost gauge today and got it all wired in correctly properly grounded and live is on a switched source too. I have T'd off the pipe leading into the inlet manifold on the left hand side of IM as standing at rear of car. So my query is that when the car is idling the gauge reads around -10 when accelerating in 1st 2nd and 3rd it will raise up to 0 reading and then go up to around 0.5 psi its been dyno run and is running 0.7 psi so is the low readings in slower speeds and lower gears normal or have i cocked something up when fittting the gauge and at what speeds and revs do the turbo spool up and create the boost at as a rule. P.s theres no kinks or leaks in the system its tighter than... something tight :mrgreen:
Steve Horrocks

Re: is boost gauge right or is something wrong?

Post by Steve Horrocks »

I'm going to presume you mean 0.5/0.7 bar not psi, if so, and your car is stock, that's normal. The car runs lower (but actuator pressure) boost in first 2 gears, then iirc, 3rd onwards has an inbuilt boost controller which allows it to run higher boost (doing it this way allows the car to revert back to low actuator pressure in case of any problems).

I presume (again!) that this it's what the issue is you're seeing?
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Jaffacake

Re: is boost gauge right or is something wrong?

Post by Jaffacake »

Steve Horrocks wrote:I'm going to presume you mean 0.5/0.7 bar not psi, if so, and your car is stock, that's normal. The car runs lower (but actuator pressure) boost in first 2 gears, then iirc, 3rd onwards has an inbuilt boost controller which allows it to run higher boost (doing it this way allows the car to revert back to low actuator pressure in case of any problems).

I presume (again!) that this it's what the issue is you're seeing?

Yes sorry i mean in bar not psi. Thanks for the info has put my mind at rest thought there mite have been an issue somewer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”