[Mk2] [Turbo] turbo engine build

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SamBurton

[Mk2] [Turbo] turbo engine build

Post by SamBurton »

Hello all,
Finally getting round to building my turbo engine. So my plan is that I have forged internals for the block, this is a rev 1 block. What would be the best combination of block / head. I am running a apexi power fc so already cut out the maf. Oh the car is a rev 2 turbo.
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] turbo engine build

Post by bobhatton »

SamBurton wrote:Hello all,
Finally getting round to building my turbo engine. So my plan is that I have forged internals for the block, this is a rev 1 block. What would be the best combination of block / head. I am running a apexi power fc so already cut out the maf. Oh the car is a rev 2 turbo.

What is your engine design?

What power have you designed for, what boost, what rev for max power, what fuel will you use, what compression ratio etc. etc.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

rev2 block and rev3 head is meant to be the best way to go
ashley

Post by ashley »

5S block, rev3+ head :thumleft:
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

What is the diffrent in the different rev blocks? I had been told the the rev 3 is a good head to use
ashley

Post by ashley »

Best head would be the beams head (port angles into the valves are greatly improved), failing that Rev 3/4/5 is the one to go for.

Rev 1 & 2 blocks are supposed to have thicker cylinder walls, but when they let go it seems to be around the water pump- possibly because people don't replace the bolt that is removed when the a/c compressor is removed.

Rev 3/4/5 blocks delete this issue, and some of the rev5 blocks are supposed to be stronger still.

The 5S block has thicker cylinder walls again, and is supposed the be the one to go for if you want big power and less chance of a cracked block :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”