Front End Knocking Noise

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darkphoenix1979

Front End Knocking Noise

Post by darkphoenix1979 »

Having run my mr2 through the winter without a problem, recently it has developed a really annoying knocking noise at low speed 5-20mph over slightly rough ground. I have had the front end up on axle stands and given the wheels a good shake and turns to see if anything happens, but nothing. Any suggestions?
elbon50

Re: Front End Knocking Noise

Post by elbon50 »

ARB droplink joint worn ?

Or has one of the droplinks worked loose in it's bracket ?

I had that problem recently
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

You might laugh at this but the exact same thing happend to me then I removed my front bumper the other day and much to my suprise

My horn was banging on mt front bumper support after months of trying to find this annoying knock it was that lol
Donato

Post by Donato »

It could be anything. Droplink/ARB bushes/Top mounts/Loose bolt/Worn arm bushes.
From experience, i've had my topmounts knock over slower speeds. If you can't find the source, it's probably them :thumleft:
Toymad

Post by Toymad »

On mine it was the front anti roll bar drop links as suggested earlier, get under the car and give each drop link a good tug, if there's movement there's your culprit.
darkphoenix1979

Post by darkphoenix1979 »

Many thanks for the suggestions, will get the car back up on the stands on Saturday and have another play.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”