First track day - Mk1 MR2

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Toymad

First track day - Mk1 MR2

Post by Toymad »

Last summer I took a pretty standard mk1 out on a track day at Snetterton. Mostly it was about learning a bit more about driving quickly and getting to know the car a bit better. I had expert tuition on hand all day as my father is an experienced racing driver who has driven single seaters for years as well as run a race team, these days he takes his Elise out to Snetterton from time to time.

I was a bit worried that the MR2 would be way out of its depth, especially given the firepower of some of the machinery there. My car has no mods other than a stainless exhaust, the front dampers are pretty new from Toyota but who knows when the rears were last replaced and I think the springs are original!

I needn't have worried because I had a great time anyway and I was really impressed with the way the MR2 can put the power (!) down, much earlier out of corners than the fwd cars.

If I were to do it regularly I'd try more track oriented brake pads and take it from there, brake fade was limiting my time on the track and I had to drive sensitively to preserve them. Not terrible, just the first thing to go.
sherwin1983

MRT

Post by sherwin1983 »

Ive done track days in the past but the other half brought me a mr2 mk1 for birthday! The car had been sat for 10 years after 8 months MR-T is back on road and first track day at japfest cadtle combe.

I was out powered by evo's and Scoobyies but i could power round courners quicker and on the bright side they all went of dented and engines blown up etc... MR-T 1989 keep going got me home with 4 extra tyres loaded on the back! boom have that! love my MR just need MORE POWER!!!! and harder ride.!
synXero

Re: First track day - Mk1 MR2

Post by synXero »

Awesome.

I haven't even driven a mk1 before :( but would be keen to get my SW20 onto a track for the first time. I think the suspension would be noticeably too soft (stock shocks, lowering springs).
Toymad

Re: First track day - Mk1 MR2

Post by Toymad »

Stock and probably slightly baggy suspension on my 168k miles mk1 and I don't think it was a problem, having brakes that I knew I could push all session would have made a more dramatic difference I think. I could have been out longer, pushing harder!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”