suspension uprade ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chrisrev2gt

suspension uprade ?

Post by chrisrev2gt »

Right folks im thinking of giving my suspension a refresh as the shocks and bushes have seen better days.
Im currently running the normal black billies,stock springs and have 17 inch wheels.
My question is which suspension would give me a drop without been a hard ride. for instance which springs/shocks would offer an upgrade but without me breaking my back? :thumleft:
Nic

Re: suspension uprade ?

Post by Nic »

A lot of aftermarket springs lower the car so much that there is very little suspension travel left and you end up bottoming out the suspension out on the bump stops.

I'd recommend a set of Eibach Pro Springs, they lower the car by around 25mm, the ride is firm but still compliant over poor road surfaces.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Not sure I'd want to change much given you're on 17s but Eibachs are I'd say reckoned the most comfortable. I think they're only a 20mm quoted drop (prob quoted for rev1 ride heights so say 10-15mm then allow for the gradual sag of the originals) but in the real world think you'll only see a cm or so.
Struts are either yellows or stock unless TCB can still get new blacks. Or buy rebuildable and fresh inserts. Or there's coilovers...
If you do topmounts TRD are cheaper than genuine Mr T standard, polybushes need to be ordered rev specific and don't forget bumpstops and gaiters.... and a good geo alignment when all is done.

R
Nic

Post by Nic »

HighwayStar wrote:Struts are either yellows or stock unless TCB can still get new blacks.

Toyota still supply the OEM black Bilstein/Toyota dampers, I recently sourced a new set for around £50 each.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Nic wrote:
HighwayStar wrote:Struts are either yellows or stock unless TCB can still get new blacks.

Toyota still supply the OEM black Bilstein/Toyota dampers, I recently sourced a new set for around £50 each.

£50 each wasn't from Toyota I take it? Otherwise I'm all over that! :mrgreen:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

50 a strut new? Keep talking...
Harold

Post by Harold »

Nic wrote:

If they were £50 each then they certainly weren't bilstein, £150 perhaps.
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

hsd mono pro coilies set up on a medium to soft damping , once settled after a few months, pretty dam comfy and can get the perfect drop on 17s,
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

I actually found my Tein Superstreets with the dampers set quite soft to be OK on 17" wheels, but I really think it depends on what your personal view of hard/soft suspension is.

If I had the money spare I'd go new yellow Bilsteins and Eibach springs, can't go wrong :thumleft:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sorry my memory failed me, yes they were a bit more than £50 each. Just checked back, the full price of the set including VAT and postage was £346.37

2pcs 48530‑09035 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH
2pcs 48540‑09025 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR LH
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

HughesR1 wrote:I actually found my Tein Superstreets with the dampers set quite soft to be OK on 17" wheels, but I really think it depends on what your personal view of hard/soft suspension is.

I've not tried the Tein Super Streets on an MR2 but sold many sets over the years to Supra owners as they are well suited to the UK roads.

HughesR1 wrote:If I had the money spare I'd go new yellow Bilsteins and Eibach springs, can't go wrong :thumleft:

From what I've read the yellow Bilsteins are more firmly dampened and better suited to the track, which was why I went with the Black Bilsteins instead.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

Harold wrote:If they were £50 each then they certainly weren't bilstein, £150 perhaps.

Definitely black Bilsteins but yes they were a bit more than I remembered, roughly £86 each including VAT and postage.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

For me I think by upgrading all the bushes to powerflex items and new black billies with eibach springs should hopefully still leave me with some comfort :-k
synXero

Post by synXero »

Polybushing suspension will toughen things up more than you might expect. Yes, it tightens it up – but that has its implications.

£86 each for new black billies is awesome.
Marf

Post by Marf »

fresh Black billies
fresh springs- lowered or not
upgraded anti roll bars
bushes.

geometry

happy days.
chrisrev2gt

Post by chrisrev2gt »

Are stock bushes still easily available?
Harold

Post by Harold »

Nic wrote:
Harold wrote:If they were £50 each then they certainly weren't bilstein, £150 perhaps.

Definitely black Bilsteins but yes they were a bit more than I remembered, roughly £86 each including VAT and postage.

Unless used I've no idea how you got them so cheap, from tcb they're a smidge under £150 each before VAT. It's actually cheaper to buy yellows from camskill.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Harold wrote:Unless used I've no idea how you got them so cheap, from tcb they're a smidge under £150 each before VAT. It's actually cheaper to buy yellows from camskill.

Brand new and boxed from Toyota, I use to be in the trade which helps a bit with some prices.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Here you go...

full set of Brand New Black Toyota suspension for £350 delivered!

£http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyot ... 20d1358386

:thumleft:

Edit: Black Toyota Suspension
Last edited by juliankv73 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Toyota yes. Bilstein? No..

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”