\\\\\ How do you remove fog lights on mr2 mk2 :S //////

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tom89uk

Post by tom89uk »

JohnnyC

Re: \\\\\ How do you remove fog lights on mr2 mk2 :S //////

Post by JohnnyC »

With a drill :mrgreen:

There's two philips head screws per light.

Good luck :thumleft:
tom89uk

Post by tom89uk »

my good god thats excatly what i thought the problem was and how to remove them but was hoping thee was a easier way
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

take the front bumper off first, it does come off with a bit of wiggling, and that'll make it easier to get in with the drill bit :thumleft:

edit: I assume you are talking about the front fogs as the back ones are much easier!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i broke loads of mr2's and i think ive managed to remove 1x single screw without drilling them out
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Here's the guide I followed:

http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2foglight.html

Need to be very careful with drilling though and has to be central on the screws to work.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

stuMR2eye wrote:Here's the guide I followed:

http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2foglight.html

Need to be very careful with drilling though and has to be central on the screws to work.

great guide but remove the bumper with some effort and get into the fog light screws much easier and with more control :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

JohnnyC wrote:With a drill :mrgreen:

There's two philips head screws per light.

Good luck :thumleft:

^What he said! :mrgreen:
cosmos

fog light s**te screws

Post by cosmos »

Best to invest in some stainless steel hexagonal headed screws 5mm by 20/25mm long as replacements, just enough room for 8mm socket on extension x 1/4 drive.
Can you source an extended drill perhaps? or braise your drill in a 12"x 6mm long rod to drill the old head off, rather than removing the bumper.
Good luck.
cosmos

fog light s**te screws

Post by cosmos »

Best to invest in some stainless steel hexagonal headed screws 5mm by 20/25mm long as replacements, just enough room for 8mm socket on extension x 1/4 drive.
Can you source an extended drill perhaps? or braise your drill in a 12"x 6mm long rod to drill the old head off, rather than removing the bumper.
Good luck.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I use 6" long drill bits. Easy to buy from engineers' suppliers.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

raptor95GTS wrote:take the front bumper off first, it does come off with a bit of wiggling, and that'll make it easier to get in with the drill bit :thumleft:

edit: I assume you are talking about the front fogs as the back ones are much easier!

There are 2 plastic push-fit lugs which attach the bumper to the crash bar above/behind each fog light, so don't try this unless they are already missing or you want to mangle your bumper.

I got a long 6mm drillbit fron ebay and retapped mine for M6 allen head bolts. Use lots of drilling lube and watch for heat buildup - you can end up melting the plastic tabs on the fogs.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Your threads will probably be destroyed when drilling out too.

I found rivnuts are great for recreating captive threads in previously knackered steel.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

asdrewq wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:take the front bumper off first, it does come off with a bit of wiggling, and that'll make it easier to get in with the drill bit :thumleft:

There are 2 plastic push-fit lugs which attach the bumper to the crash bar above/behind each fog light, so don't try this unless they are already missing or you want to mangle your bumper.

I got a long 6mm drillbit fron ebay and retapped mine for M6 allen head bolts. Use lots of drilling lube and watch for heat buildup - you can end up melting the plastic tabs on the fogs.

a mate that did his own fog lights then mine managed it so there must be a way :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

asdrewq wrote:I got a long 6mm drillbit fron ebay and retapped mine for M6 allen head bolts.

Sure that wasn't 5mm drill bit?

A 6mm hole will be too big for an M6 tap.
Canopus

FOG LIGHTS

Post by Canopus »

I had a similar problem some years ago and eventually drilled round the outside of the fixing screws.

Ultimatley this made the fixing hole a little larger but I was able to get them off okay to replace a bulb.

They fitted back on fine with a washer under the screw and have been there the last 8 years!

If I had to do it again I think I would use a thin brass tube with a serated edge (like a hole saw). This would then cut through the plastic and the lights can be removed and refitted as above with a larger washer.

As everyone has commented the problem is getting at the screws.

To be fair I haven't tried that methiod but see no reason why it won't work and be neater than the ring of small holes I drilled.

Good luck

Geoff

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”