[Mk2] [Turbo] knocking front end, it's driving me mad. HELP PLEASE.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BlackpoolMR2

[Mk2] [Turbo] knocking front end, it's driving me mad. HELP PLEASE.

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

i've had my drivers side front wheel off today to investigate an annoying knock when driving anywhere over any road surface. Also theres a hel of a lot of vibration between 70-80. I have recently had the car tracked and balanced and both came in fine.
i've checked for play in the hub and ball joint and both appear fine. Theres no loose nuts of bolts that i've found hanging off.
the noise is apparent when i'm lifting the hub up and down. It sounds like it's coming from the middle of the shock. I've not changed yet is the top mount although i do have a set of TRD ones.

Help please, its driving me mad!!!!

:pray:
2tmike

Knock

Post by 2tmike »

Cheapest to fix and most common is the arb drop link...disconnect it and see if the knock goes. I went through this with my Tubby, changed almost everything(drop links, bushes, top mounts etc) and in the end I believe it was the shock itself. The noise was noticable when driving from cold and usually went away after a few miles .The suspension worked fine and MOT testers could never find any play anywhere.
BlackpoolMR2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] knocking front end, it's driving me mad. HELP PLEASE.

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

After taking off the wheel & manually lifting the hub I'm inclined to thinking it may be the insert. The noise is defiantly most noticeable around the centre of the shock.
It's a bit of pain as I just got 2 new TRD top mounts that were a bit expensive & may need to buy a new insert.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

i had this mate and after checking all my suspension components and and what have you it turned out to be the arb rose joints at the front were gone
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

andrew30044047 wrote:After taking off the wheel & manually lifting the hub I'm inclined to thinking it may be the insert. The noise is defiantly most noticeable around the centre of the shock.
It's a bit of pain as I just got 2 new TRD top mounts that were a bit expensive & may need to buy a new insert.

Your car should have sealed struts, not inserts. It's not unusual for Bilsteins to get a bit noisy as they age.
BlackpoolMR2

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

The clunking is terrible. It sounds like the while front of the car is about to drop off. I'll have another play around tomorrow & see what else I can rule out being at fault. Still, new top mounts can't do any harm over the 19 yr old ones that at on the car.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

on a Tubby I used to own, I had the same problem. It turned out the ARB mounts where they bushes attach to the chassis ...... had corroded straight through. An hour at the welders and it was good as new.
pacman

Post by pacman »

I've had this exact problem recently. Replaced the drop links but that didn't cure it. After a little more research it turns out that the 19mm nut which mounts the strut to the topmount (under the black cover) had come loose by maybe 2/3s of a turn (fairly common, apparently). Tightened that up and the knocking disappeared.
BlackpoolMR2

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

pacman wrote:I've had this exact problem recently. Replaced the drop links but that didn't cure it. After a little more research it turns out that the 19mm nut which mounts the strut to the topmount (under the black cover) had come loose by maybe 2/3s of a turn (fairly common, apparently). Tightened that up and the knocking disappeared.

I've read something similar on the mr2oc forum about that. The only problem was the description of which nut wasn't too good so i couldn't work out which one it was. I'll go get my big bar on it and see what happens.

Return to “Mechanical”