heads up

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

4ndee

heads up

Post by 4ndee »

Recieved a special notice yesterday on vts, all the changes to mot are due to come in to effect as of 20th march. So all you boys running HID lights beware
snuffbox

Re: heads up

Post by snuffbox »

maybe finally i won't be getting blinded by every HID installed SUV behind me now.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

yep :thumleft: no more chavs with cheapo hid lights
synXero

Post by synXero »

You reckon?

Most shitty HIDs are probably in cars owned by people who know bribe friendly testers.

I hope it makes some difference but I don't expect much.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

[-X bribing testers lol
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Beware of....hid's aren't a failure
Harold

Post by Harold »

dan4 wrote:Beware of....hid's aren't a failure

This is my understanding also.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Taxi company in town just fitted aftermarket HID's (cheap ebay kits in standard lenses) in all their cars as they told me whilst buying 8 packs of DRL's from us :evil:
Last edited by madbasshunter on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Hids are not a failure. You need to have washers fitted and the correct lenses fitted and a leveling system fitted
craig

Post by craig »

Proper HID lights with cut off shields, and the correct beam pattern are not an MOT fail.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:Proper HID lights with cut off shields, and the correct beam pattern are not an MOT fail.

Correct. If the manufacturer fitted them, they will have projector lenses and cut-off shield as part of their construction.

If the manufacturer did not fit washers and levellers, then they are obviously still legal.

Let's hope MOT testers do their job properly and get the ebay shoppers with their Chinese poo HID kits off the road. Every single one of them.
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Let's hope MOT testers do their job properly and get the ebay shoppers with their Chinese poo HID kits off the road. Every single one of them.

thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

it's not going to happen is it, they'll just reconnected the stock bulbs for the test and remove them after

chris
scooby seb

Post by scooby seb »

They've changed a bit haven't they?? you can only fail a shocker if it's leaking, not on the bounce test and it's ok to have a broken road spring now???
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

scooby seb wrote:it's ok to have a broken road spring now???

Really? Source please.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Really? Source please.

Wrong it was acceptable to have an end tag broken if it didn't effect the strength as of the 20th any broken spring fails again
Harold

Post by Harold »

What are people's opinions on decent hid kits from the likes of hids4u?
scooby seb

Post by scooby seb »

4ndee wrote:

Really? Source please.

Wrong it was acceptable to have an end tag broken if it didn't effect the strength as of the 20th any broken spring fails again

Ah that was it, i was only half listening when the tester at work was reading it out
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

RedMR² wrote:Proper HID lights with cut off shields, and the correct beam pattern are not an MOT fail.

Correct. If the manufacturer fitted them, they will have projector lenses and cut-off shield as part of their construction.

If the manufacturer did not fit washers and levellers, then they are obviously still legal.

I have seen nearly new vehicles dazzle with me their hids. It is not just SUVs either. Seems to be mostly audis, beemers, mercs that ought to have decent quality factory fit hids. (Apparently if you get done for marginally speeding due to being distracted while dazzled by hids, that is no excuse! No, it has not happened to me)

Not sure what the levelling system takes as a level reference but it does not seem right. The drivers dont notice if they are lighting up the inside of my car roof... :roll:

e.g. some are worse when accelerating and the front end lifts. Others dazzle while driving at a constant speed so I wonder if there is some driver operated level adjuster like there used to be in very old cars to adjust the beam when towing or heavy load in the back etc.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Most of them have self level devices that when you dtart the car calibrate themselves thenadjust whilst driving.

The big audis and things like x5s blind me too its horrendous, but not as bad as chavs with e bay special kits thst drive me mental. Its them who need targeting.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”