[Mk2] [Turbo] 1994 MR2 Turbo battery flat after 3 days standing still

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

[Mk2] [Turbo] 1994 MR2 Turbo battery flat after 3 days standing still

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Hi

My MR2 is not too well i think

If I leave the car standing still for 3 days the battery is flat, the starter moter clicks like mad (solenoid) and all lights near go out on dash.

I know its not the battery as I have swapped the one from my new GT86 into the MR2 and vice versa and still have the issue with the Mr tubby going flat.

Not yet stuck a meter in series between p+ terminal and wiring loom battery connector but recon it will be pulling a fair bit of current.

The car has a Clifford alarm of which I replaced the siren battery as when these fail they can cause excessive car battery drain but made no differance.

The alternator seems to be working ok in the sence its sticking out 14.something volts when engine is running, I took this off a while back and stripped it completely down cleaned and rebuilt it as it squeeled a bit, I put a new brush box on it as well, all other parts looked healthy so I am fairly happy to say this is ok, Car was also doing this drain issue before I rebuilt the alt.

The car does not have ABS or traction control and apart from a boost guage is electrically completely standard.

I will when I have the batt back in it check the boot light goes out and maybe unplug the radio as this has a perminant 12V feed to maintain radio station memory, also I may unplug stratigic fuses to see if I can track a particular circuit down thats drawing to many mA.

If I use car every day its fine always starts first time with no struggle so its a little weird, leave it for 3 days / 72 hours and its a no go battery reads 9 volts andI have to jump it.

Anyone have an incling of what it could possibly be ?? and is it a common issue on these old beasts now ?

Thanks
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 1994 MR2 Turbo battery flat after 3 days standing still

Post by Slarty »

It's more than likely quiet a small current drain if it takes 2/3 days to flatten the battery. I accidently left my door slightly ajar and it flattened the battery overnight.

You're on the right lines though, put your meter in series with the battery and check for current with everything off etc. It should, I think, be as near to zero as makes little difference. Boot light would be a good place to start :thumleft:
jon

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 1994 MR2 Turbo battery flat after 3 days standing still

Post by jon »

Mr2Madlad wrote:
The car has a Clifford alarm of which I replaced the siren battery as when these fail they can cause excessive car battery drain but made no differance.

Do you have any more details on this? The battery in my Clifford Alarm is completely knackered!

Return to “Electrical”