DUDERSTADT 2013 germany

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: DUDERSTADT 2013 germany

Post by Lauren »

Cool! :+:

Will be great fun and good to catch up with the Wild Bunch again. :)

We are coming to you via a different route this time as we are staying in Utrecht. Is there anywhere you recommend stopping for lunch on the way over to you?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
erikmr

Post by erikmr »

8) from Utrecht to Zwolle you travel the A28 about 20 km for Zwolle you leaf the motorway and visit Elburg a nice litle town

http://www.vvvelburg.nl/

( in dutch )

return to the motorway and drive past Zwolle 8 km behind take the road to hasselt/ zwartsluis
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Great stuff, cheers. :+:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Okay three weeks to go.

Is anyone else actually going?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Nope, trackday in France that weekend. :mrgreen:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Okay so far, from the Brits we have:

1. Lauren & Mark
2. John & Yana

It's undoubtedly going to be a smaller event as far as the Rote Warte goes, but Erik informs me that he knows of a number of Germans who are making the trip too. It'll be smaller but still fun and we look forward to seeing Bennie and Mario of course too. :)

If anyone else is coming from this side of the water, add your name to the list!
mr2-pilot

Post by mr2-pilot »

Lauren wrote:look forward to seeing Bennie

ive had heard my name?!?!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

:+:

:hug:

Not long now! :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Only a week to go! :)

This time next week we shall be dining with Erik in Zwartsluis, NL. Then the convoy with the Wild Bunch into Duderstadt via the scenic route. Can't wait now! :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well, I'm officially excited about Duderstadt. Shame there is less of us going compared to last year. It's going to be a much smaller event and there is only John and Yana coming over from the UK, but I do wonder if it will be a bit more intimate as a result? We shall see. We are looking forward to catching up with Erik from the Wild Bunch and the convoy in.

Should be a great trip. I'm still in the midst of getting the car ready. Will GJOB it pretty well in prep for it getting covered in crap! :)

I shall be doing a load more of this in considerably more comfort and at higher speeds. :)

Then a bit of the show and shine in the town centre:

And hopefull more of this:

Shame there are less of us this year, you will be missed.

Cannot wait to see Brugge again and hopefully in better weather than last year:

And lastly one for Toni:

erikmr

Post by erikmr »

8) the weatherfocast is good

and i think we wil be having lots of fun

the convio on freyday wil be about 6 cars and a bike

see you theursday lauren :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's certainly hot enough n Utrecht tonight. I saw a forecast of 37C on Saturday at Duderstadt!

Look forward to seeing you Thursday, Erik :)
Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin »

Date for Duderstadt 2014 (next year): 25 - 26 - 27 july
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cheers, Peter. :+:

It was a smaller event than last year at the Rote Warte, but still a very good turnout for the display and no shortage of cars for the epic drive out!

Good times. :)

/typed from my hotel in Brugge.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Okay, 1750 miles later and we are back! :)

We started off on Tuesday the 22nd July with a ferry to Calais and from there we drove to Utrecht. However, I factored in a mini GT86 meet up with some Belgian friends in Minderhout, which is near the Dutch border.

Here we are ready for the 0640 ferry from Dover:

From there we subjected ourselves to the truly awful Ferry fry up, but at least it was free!

Then it was back on the road again for our rendezvous with Johnny and Dennis:

Here we are!

It was very hot! Next stop, Utrecht:

Beer ensued!

[/img]http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... _n.jpg[img]

Fine foods were had:

After a couple of days in Utrecht, we were off to meet the head of the Wild Bunch (MR2club.nl), Erik! We stayed with Erik last year and it was lovely to catch up with him again. Erik had planned a BBQ. Then he popped out for some bread and we had a look around his garage. :)

Erik also has his first car which is a rusty Capri in his garage. He plans to be buried in this!

The following morning after a humid night, more of the Wild Bunch arrived:

An hour and a half later and we stopped in Germany for breakfast. It was great to meet up with the Wild Bunch again. :)

We were met with a huge thunderstorm when we got to Rote Warte, but forunately it was after we got our tent up! Benno provided the hospitality and more food than we could eat.

The following day dawned and it was a hot one at 37C by lunchtime. We took our cars into the centre and gave them a quick wash before lining up for the usual display in the town centre.

It's a pretty place:

Did I mention, it was bloody hot!

Ice cream was consumed and with some relief (dual climate) we were back in the car for the drive out into the Harz region of Lower Saxony.

The Wild Bunch welcomed to 'their' ice cream shop:

It made me chuckle they had a picture of a GT86 on it!

It's a beautiful place;

A quick stop and Martin lets his M5 cool down:

More Wild Bunch and a pretty MK3:

Erik's MK3:

More MK3s:

A view down the display:

Well in terms of the drive out, we took some great roads but due to the heat everyone was pretty tired so a fair few of us decided to find our own way back to Rote Warte (where we were staying with ze Germans). We got a bit lost despite the sat nav as there were a few closed roads which hampered our progress somewhat. But, we were not alone and we ended up in a convoy with two of the Dutch guys and a German couple. Though we were all tired and wanting to get back with thoughts of ice cold beer, this part of the drive became pretty epic as the pace upped considerably and it was a pretty good burn up all the way back! :) That woke me up again!

Eventually we got back and much cold beer was had. The evening was simply glorious. I think it was still 22C at 1am in the morning! Needless to say Peter decided to take the opportunity to get naked and wave at any passing traffic. In the end I had to call it a night, but Peter and Paul were seen to be naked with a stuffed fox. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there are just some things you don't ask!

Sunday morning loomed and everyone was heading off. We were off to Brugge (a real favourite of ours) and it didn't dissapoint. But before we could get there, there was the small matter of 600kms of motorway with some derestricted autobahn on route. I tried to get my car to maximum speed but it's no easy task when there is traffic to watch out for.

As you can see I got to 226km/h (GPS verified 215km/h) though I daresay it would have gone more, I had no option but to back off as I was fast approaching slower moving traffic.

We made it to Brugge and gave the car a rest in the hotel garage:

Another hot day, so much beer was consumed:

Mark was happy with his favourite Tripel:

Yes, Brugge is beautiful:

There did seem to be something of a mosquito and various other biting insect plague, which doubtless was due to the bonkers hot weather we've all had over the past month, but it was a great trip.

We are already planning for Duderstadt 2014. There is a lot of work to do and I must say a huge thanks to Erik for his organisational skills, hospitality and for offering us a room at his house for the third year running. Also to Mario for some of the local organisation and for being a brilliant host as usual.

We are hoping that we will get some GT86's there next year and it looks extremely likely that we will be looking at a new location for us to stay. There is a lot to work out but it will so be worth it! :)

Return to “Past Events”