[Mk2] [Turbo] How can I tell if front top mounts are gone?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] How can I tell if front top mounts are gone?

Post by joemacmr2 »

As above, what are the symtoms of bad top mounts? How can I test them. Also if I buy new mounts, do u get the cup at top of spring??
Rosssco

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How can I tell if front top mounts are gone?

Post by Rosssco »

Knocking both going over bumps and when changing direction. Not sure if you can feel any real resistance due to fubar'd bearing if the car has power steering. You also can't inspect the bearing fully without removing the strut.

You'll then be able to tell the condition of the bearing, and if its goosed it will feel a bit rough / stiff / lumpy to turn.

You only get the bearing / top mount, not the spring cup, although unless its excessively corroded, it can be reused. Clean it down and perhaps spray with a protective coating / paint. Do check that the spring cup hole is in good condition, and the flat sides interface properly with the flats on the damper. This keeps the spring cup rotating with the damper.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

By knocking when changing direction do u mean when turning the steering wheel as its stationary? There is a slight knock when doing this but the front wheels move with the slightest of touches on the steering wheel. When turning at near full lock, either reversing or going forward I get the sensation that the car wants to spring to full lock and wheel hop.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Drop links?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Open frunk. Jack up car. Bar wheel up and down whilst feeling the damper top nut with your finger. If it knocks as you bar up and down, bearing is goosed.

Return to “Mechanical”