4AGZE alternator tensioner pulley

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BIGBOBO

4AGZE alternator tensioner pulley

Post by BIGBOBO »

Does anyone know if there's an alternative for the 4AGZE alternator tensioner? (It's the same as the waterpum/supercharger tensioner)

The bearing in mine's gone.

I've read about using a V6 camry idler as a tensioner for the waterpump and supercharger but I'm running standard pulleys so I don't know if it would fit.
jon_st205

Re: 4AGZE alternator tensioner pulley

Post by jon_st205 »

You should just be able to replace the bearing in it, usually NSK.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Unfortunately it seems replacing the bearing isn't that easy according to http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php? ... msg_268569.

The tensioner pulleys on the GZE are weird bearings. The bearing itself is a press fit just like all the rest. But the inner race is the same piece that gets clamped to the bracket to hold the tensioner in place. Herein lies the problem, you cant get the bearing because its a custom item made by NGK for Toyota.
MartG

Post by MartG »

BIGBOBO wrote:
I've read about using a V6 camry idler as a tensioner for the waterpump and supercharger but I'm running standard pulleys so I don't know if it would fit.

I think it should fit - as the reason it is used on the big pulley conversions is that it is smaller diameter than the standard one
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I got mine last week but it doesn't seem to fit. It's to wide (nearly twice the width of the standard pulley) and you can't get a socket between the pulley and the chassis rail.

Is the proper V6 idler this wide or did they supply a wrong part?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”